Transfering pics from camera

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Re: Transfering pics from camera

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks gents will give that a go and feed back....& thanks for pointing out there is no "a" in the string. Regards Dave.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

At last..........might be getting somewhere, I noted that there is a yellow question mark next to "Other devices" so clicked on it and the attachment shows the result. Could this be the culprit I wonder! Now gents what needs to be done to rectify this error and will it solve the problem? I can't see anything camera related but see there are two items related to a "Floppy discs" surely they can be deleted but what else can also? :thankyou: Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I would delete the two devices with yellow question marks. This is unlikely to do any harm as they aren't working at the moment. When you next connect them they should prompt for the correct drivers.

Also expand the Universal Serial Bus controllers at the bottom to check for anything under there that could be deleted.
StuartR

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.....how do I delete them [tried right & left clicking on them but no delete option shown] also, please look at post 130239 for a screen shot of what is in Serial Bus controllers...Regards Dave

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I think you can select them and double click and you will get a pop up screen. You should have options to disable and to delete from the pop ups.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Dave Davison wrote:.....how do I delete them [tried right & left clicking on them but no delete option shown] also, please look at post 130239 for a screen shot of what is in Serial Bus controllers...Regards Dave
If you right click on one, there should be a pop up with the following options:
Update Software
Disable
Uninstall
Scan for changes
Properties

Click on Uninstall and it should go away.
Repeat for any others.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Since submitting my last post [not knowing how to delete the said items] I just now accessed DM and note that "Other Devices" option is not visible also I have connected the camera but it does not show as a drive in W.E. Feels like one forward two back so the saga goes on. Cheers Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Did you click on Disk Drives to open up that listing?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

When you accessed Device Manager the second time did you do it the same way. IF you haven't set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1 IN THE CONTEXT OF THE PROCESS THAT STARTED DEVICE MANAGER then you won't see them, even if you use the View menu to show hidden devices.
StuartR

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Regarding the last two posts, No Bob I did not click on the Disc Drives option & Stuart with a memory like a sieve I don't recall whether I accessed the DM the way suggested or simply by right clicking My Computer > Properties > Hardware > Device Manager. Probably the latter as it is quicker. Any comments regarding the "Printers & Cameras wizard" that may be a factor?
Regards dave.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

........saga cont. just had the following email from a rep at Olympus, can anyone expand further on this and suggest what (if anything) I can do next that might possibly resolve the issue please. Wouldn't be pushing this issue if I did not -all at once - have so many occasions when transferring pics is needed. Sending photos to family overseas and a gardening forum which I frequent seeking advice for various green finger issues like [why do my potato plants have so many small tubers instead of swelling to a decent size? ] I appreciate that last comment should be in the "Skuttlebut" section but I tag it on in the hope that some reader might be an expert on gardening as well as computing. Kind regards Dave.

edited just done a search for the two drivers and discover the second one <usbstor.inf> is missing so searched Microsoft Drivers on line and downloaded what appears to be the right driver BUT Windows will not open it. Did some more searching and discovered I needed another download to open it BUT got a warning message so abandoned the idea. Suggestions please.

Dear Dave,
Thank you for your feedback.
The two necessary usb mass storage class drivers are usbstor.sys (system file) normally located in (C:)/Windows/System32/drivers and usbstor.inf (setup information file) which should be in (C:)/Windows/inf.

Kind regards,
Jaroslav Zika

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Dave,

I REALLY think you need to do what Stuart suggested, and remove the broken drivers using
Start > All Programs > Accessories > Command Prompt
At the command prompt type the following command and press ENTER
set devmgr_show_nonpresent_devices=1

Then type the following command and press ENTER
start devmgmt.msc
Once you have identified and removed the broken bits, reboot the PC (waiting long enough to make sure it's properly booted up) then plug in your camera and let it install it's drivers.

Too much fiddling about deleting stuff can lead to chaos.

good luck
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.........just returned from the computer shop where a conversation was in flow about XP becoming more vulnerable and that it is expected to become the target of more frequent attacks by evil hackers SO I think the inevitable is to bite the bullet and upgrade to windows 7 which means the current issue will be resolved so thanks again for all the advice. Regards Dave.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

I think that upgrading is a very timely and best course of action on your part.
A very fitting conclusion to this issue. :thumbup:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If at all possible you should do a clean installation of Windows 7 rather than an upgrade. This is a much better way of cleaning out all the dross and getting a nice clean installation.

If you are going to do this then you MUST back up ALL your data, and make sure you have copies of all the software you need to install.
StuartR

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks guys, when I say consigning XP to history I mean leaving the desktop with the shop owner from who I bought it and he will wipe the "C" drive clean then install windows 7 from scratch. I found it a bit irksome when listening to him discussing a similar issue with a customer saying it is impossible to save installed programs which is most annoying because I am using not a few freebies that I acquired from "Free for a day" so I'm afraid it's goodby to them. Also progs like "Freemake downloader". "iWisoft", DVD Smith & Faststone capture to name but a few so I reckon I'll be visiting the thread about free software frequently. Cheers Dave.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

A fresh start is always good.
An emptying of the closet and a spring clean is very necessary every so often.
Enjoy the big clean Davison machine and 7 heaven.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Not so sure I will relish W7 as I have used the church laptop which has it installed and I find some of the changes (for me) add next to nothing that XP does not have. In fact, I tend to agree with the customer I referred to in the shop today [even older than me] who thought Windows 8 did everything he required & mourned it's passing as he also did of XP. I seem to remember getting a newsletter from somewhere which said W7 could be made to look like XP, OK, it's a step backwards maybe but I have gotten attached to this OS having used it for along time. Cheers Dave.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Howdy Dave,

I, too, was attached to XP. It was the first solid, reliable OS from MicroSoft, in my opinion. I hated to see it go.

About 2 years ago and some, I decided to build a system by collecting the parts I would need and reusing my old tower case. I started assembling compatible components about a year in advance of the actual build. I shopped sales and specials on line. My very first purchase was Windows 7 HPE. I purchased it because it was on sale at a very attractive price and included licenses for installation on 3 machines simultaneously. I was not planning an OS upgrade but the price was too a deal to pass up. Over time, I assembled a new motherboard, CPU chip, RAM, hard drives, power supply, et al. After about 9 months, I tore the old system in my desktop apart and placed all the new components in and loaded Win 7.

Now, understand, I am about to start my 73rd year on this earth; so I was no spring chicken when I undertook this project. I did have a career in IT that began in 1964, but I do not consider myself a techie or a geek by any means ('tho others might :innocent: ). It took me a bit to become accustomed to the differences between XP and Win 7, but that was the case when I adopted XP and all the others. The biggest difficulty I had was in adjusting to the new user interface with Office 2010. I'm still a bit flummoxed by the ribbon and have to hunt to find features that I used with abandon in the older version.

I offer this overlong description of my experience to urge you to be patient and take it one step at a time. Before long, you won't even remember how things were done in XP.

Good Luck!

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi Bob................Wednesday is "D" day. Yep! I've encountered W7 on our church laptop and note many similar features of XP but there are one or two that I've used a lot in the latter which I think are missing so I suspect patience is the answer. Cheers dave.