Ghostery Behavior

BobH
UraniumLounger

Ghostery Behavior

Post by BobH »

Recently Ghostery, the privacy software that blocks much of the invasive site information, has been behaving a bit strangely. It is an Add-on in Firefox on my system. Fx is 30.0 but I don't know if the add-on has a version number. I do have it enabled with automatic updates on.

The strange behavior is that when opening Firefox a Ghostery tab sometimes opens for reasons unknown to me. My Firefox Tools > Options > General tab shows Show My Home Page and the Home Page panel contains URLs for the 4 web sites that I want to open with Firefox (Eileen's is first, of course). I have no idea why the Ghostery tab opens. I can find nothing in the Ghostery options that would cause this, but that might be due to my short comings not their absence.

Even more strange is that fact that my blocking options are periodically removed thus allowing all the tracking tools back into my system. I notice this when the Ghostery panel pops up and the trackers are shown without a line through their names. I go to Tools > Add-ons and open the Ghostery options and reset the blocking restraints and all runs well for awhile. Then, it happens again.

If anyone else runs Ghostery and knows how to fix this glitch, I would appreciate your direction.

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Ghostery Behavior

Post by Rudi »

I don't use Ghostery or Firefox, but just a running suggestion...
Have you tried uninstalling the add-in, and then reinstalling it?
Maybe it would be good to clean out your Temp folders and your Browser Cache too.

(Basically this is just suggestions as it is the first thing I'd try if I were in this position...)
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

This is Ghostly?
Bob just posted it NOW...but Google found a match for this very post 14 hours ago? Huh?? Spooky!!!
1.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Rudi on 12 Jul 2014, 21:25, edited 1 time in total.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That often happens. Google's timestamps obviously aren't accurate.
Best wishes,
Hans