Office alternative for Mac?

dasadler
5StarLounger

Office alternative for Mac?

Post by dasadler »

I have a friend with a MacBook and they cannot afford MS Office yet we need to be able to exchange and collaborate on documents and spreadsheets.

I know there are office alternatives out there but not sure which is most compatible and/or best. Cost IS an object so free is best but really inexpensive could work.

Any recommendations?
Don

HansV
Administrator

Re: Office alternative for Mac?

Post by HansV »

Apple has several free applications for Macintosh, see Apple Creativity and Productivity Apps. Among them there are Pages, a word processing program that can open and edit Word documents; Numbers, a spreadsheet program that can open and edit Excel workbooks; and Keynote, a presentation program that can open and edit PowerPoint presentations. They have very good reviews.

LibreOffice is also free and compatible with Microsoft Office.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

dasadler wrote:I have a friend with a MacBook and they cannot afford MS Office yet we need to be able to exchange and collaborate on documents and spreadsheets.

I know there are office alternatives out there but not sure which is most compatible and/or best. Cost IS an object so free is best but really inexpensive could work.

Any recommendations?
I think Libre Office ( formerly Open Office ) will work for your friend.
I'm not a Mac person but it has a Mac or Windows version and should be compatible with Office files and it's :free:
There is a rather detailed comparison of LO and Office here:
https://wiki.documentfoundation.org/Fea ... oft_Office" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I use LO and have no problem with Office files as yet. Check it out.

Edited to add: As always Hans beat me to it! :grin:
BTW, LO is a suite of programs rather than individual ones for each application.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

Thanks for the replies everyone. From what I read, the 'free' apps from Apple are functional yet really, really 'lite' versions. I will look into the Open Office and Libre Office. BTW, I believe they are still two distinct applications.
Don

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

If by can't afford Office you mean spending the $$$ on the DVD version of Office for Mac perhaps you should check out the subscription forOffice for Mac 2011. While not free there is a pretty small monthly charge. Note: if you pay for a year up front you get a 16% discount.

Joe
Joe

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

dasadler wrote:Thanks for the replies everyone. From what I read, the 'free' apps from Apple are functional yet really, really 'lite' versions. I will look into the Open Office and Libre Office. BTW, I believe they are still two distinct applications.
While the article is a little elderly, it explains the differences (?) between OO and LO. Maybe separate product names but both sharing the basic open source code, LO leading in making updates and improvements to same.
http://www.openlogic.com/wazi/bid/18811 ... fice-Suite" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.