Seagate backup plus

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Seagate backup plus

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi again...........when saving files to my 1 TB Seagate external portable drive there are (as seen below) comments which seem to indicate they are not permanent or need attention. I have another 750 GB Seagate external drive which is quite full but does not show such endorsements. Please explain. Thank you Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Seagate backup plus

Post by stuck »

I too have a Seagate external HDD but I don't use Seagate's software so what follows is guesswork...

I think the comments refer to differences between the source files and those that have been uploaded to the (small amount) of free space Seagate give you on their 'cloud' storage. In other words I think the default behaviour of the Seagte backup software is to replicate stuff to the cloud as well to the external HDD and the comments about some of the files being orphans is telling you that they have been left all on their own in the cloud because the original source files on your PC/ext HDD have been deleted.

Does this make sense?

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.......not immediately but I will meditate on it and see if my aging brain can assimilate it. All files that have been transferred to the external drive [were mostly as back-up copies or to simply free up space on the original drives] but I can't specifically remember which drive they originated from or which ones were deleted so will pay more attention next time. Thanks Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

As I tried to say, I don't think these comments are about the differences between your files on your PC vs those on the external HDD but differences between what's on the external HDD and what the Seagate software has also replicated to some 'cloud' storage on Seagate servers.

However, I'm not sure about this as I only gave the Seagate Dashboard software a quick look over before deciding it wasn't what I wanted to use to manage the backing up of my digital photos onto my external HDD.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Apologies Ken.........getting so on in years the old grey matter is not so absorbent as it once was. I think I get the gist of what you are saying so there seems no need to ponder on it any more. Thanks Dave.