Computer will not boot up

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Computer will not boot up

Post by Dave Davison »

Following the purging of many files from "My Documents" to free up space on my "C" drive and copying them to a "Seagate 1TB external drive when I closed down I left the said external drive plugged in and to my dismay when I tried to switch on a couple of hours later I found the computer would not boot up, after four more attempts - by chance - I unplugged the external drive and it booted up as normal. What is there about such an external drive that interferes with a normal switch on please. :scratch: :scratch: Dave.

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Computer will not boot up

Post by Rudi »

Hi Dave,

I think it is to do with a PC's BIOS. The PC is looking at the external HD as the boot device. If you look at the BIOS settings of your PC, you can check the order in which the PC looks for the device (drive) to boot from. Ensure that your C: drive is the first if you need to boot while an external drive is connected.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Sorry Rudi....haven't a clue about the Bios so never stray into that region, me thinks the simple answer is to unplug the external drive AFTER closing down. Thanks for the info about the computer looking at the external drive as the boot device, makes sense now. Many thanks Dave.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Dave Davison wrote:Sorry Rudi....haven't a clue about the Bios so never stray into that region, me thinks the simple answer is to unplug the external drive AFTER closing down. Thanks for the info about the computer looking at the external drive as the boot device, makes sense now. Many thanks Dave.
Hey Dave,
Rudi offered a possible fix to your BIOS problem but if you don't care to try it, then unplug the external HD and live with it that way. May not be the right way but whatever floats your boat!
Perhaps you should try to learn a little about the BIOS to improve your overall knowledge of computing? Certainly wouldn't hurt.
Take a look at this link for some basics on XP BIOS, how to get into the setups. etc. You don't have to actually DO any of these things but if someone asks you to check your BIOS, at least you can look at it?
http://pcsupport.about.com/od/fixthepro ... ssbios.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Bob might just take your advice and what Rudi said about the order in which the PC looks for the device (drive) to boot from and see if in fact "C" is the first. Never forgot a couple of things my old Dad used to say "A little knowledge can be dangerous" & "if it aint broke don't fix it". Though in this instance I did have a small hurdle. Thanks again Dave.