Defragmenting

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Defragmenting

Post by Dave Davison »

Lats night I set Defraggler running and ticked the option, "Shut down when complete" but to my amazement when I got up this morning it was still not completed so I just left it running. Now, 20 hours later it is still not finished and only shows 32 percent of the "C" drive as complete with 3 other drives still to go. Should I stop the whole process or let it run forever [it seems]? :scratch: :scratch: Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Defragmenting

Post by HansV »

I'd cancel the process and not worry about defragmentation.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Whereas I'd leave it until it finishes :grin:

Ken

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I doubt a different app will be any quicker. Look at the screen dump, where Defraggler says 'Current state ...68% fragmentation'. I rarely defrag my HDD but even my XP box has never got to that level of fragmentation. Any app is going to take a long time to sort it out.

Plus there is only 30.7GB free on a 146.5GB drive. That not exactly a lot of space for any defrag app to work in.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Varied opinions and most likely all valid to a point but after 22 hours and "C" drive still not anywhere like being finished I've given it up as rather futile and stopped the process. Thanks anyway Dave.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

The next time you will need to do a disk refragmentaion... :crazy:
Regards,
Rudi

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Dave, it could be because your file system is FAT32.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Response to last two posts.....Rudi; what do you mean "Next Time"? After running Defraggler; for almost 24 hours it had only reached about 35% on "C" drive. I suppose the other three drives are of little consequence as "C" is the engine room of the computer. By the way I have moved a host of files from the "My Documents" folder to an external drive leaving "C" drive with 71 GB of free space so will that speed up the defrag operation? George! (please excuse my ignorance) but what has FAT 32 to do with the issue? YES, I'm clinging on to XP till it becomes a problem. ps Are the defraggers Rudi suggested quicker than Defraggler? Cheers Dave.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Dave Davison wrote:ps Are the defraggers Rudi suggested quicker than Defraggler? Cheers Dave.
A defragger is a defragger...The interface might look different between them, but they all do the same thing, barring the fact that some are better quality and might have better coding behind their operations.
Also consider that some have options for deep defragmentation and others might even offer further optimization on your drives. The deeper your defrag choice, the longer it takes. I simply suggested trying others based on option like quick defrag or based on better coding. I tend to use iObit Smart Defrag but on occasions have also used Defraggler. Both are available on my Portable Apps list. The last time I used iObit, it defragged my C drive in pretty quick time.
Regards,
Rudi

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Uh! Pardon me, but I have a related question that might help Dave.

Would it help at all if Dave were to install and run PrivaZer to clear out detritus? Would this, perhaps, free up some disk space that might speed up the defrag process? It is unclear to me what, exactly, PrivaZer does with its cleanup. It is my understanding that it releases sectors back to the file allocation process but does not defrag, as in co-locating related sectors.

Dave, FAT32 is the file system that allocates disk space. It was replaced some time back by Microsoft with the NTFS (New Technology File System) for purposes of operating efficiency and disk space management. You can read more here.

NTFS is compatible with WinXP. I ran it with XP before upgrading to Win7. Here is more information about NTFS from Microsoft and information about converting your data. If you decide to do this, please back up your drive as FAT32 before proceeding.

HTH
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

"PrivaZer", is a registry cleaner, which in most cases is a waste of money, and most of time, messes up a machine all the more.
If I remember right, Dave's machine is an older XP one.
The money spent on a new machine would be much better spent!
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

DaveA wrote:"PrivaZer", is a registry cleaner, which in most cases is a waste of money, and most of time, messes up a machine all the more.
Maybe I'm misreading it (that has happened before :hairout: ), but I think PrivaZer is a bit more than just a Registry cleaner.

Read more here
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:
DaveA wrote:"PrivaZer", is a registry cleaner, which in most cases is a waste of money, and most of time, messes up a machine all the more.
Maybe I'm misreading it (that has happened before :hairout: ), but I think PrivaZer is a bit more than just a Registry cleaner.

Read more here
You are certainly right, Bob. A lot more than a Reg Cleaner.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Can you turn OFF the "Registry" cleaner part of this program?
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Dave Davison wrote: George! (please excuse my ignorance) but what has FAT 32 to do with the issue?
Your excused. I thought it might have something to do with your problem but was unsure as to why.
The post by BobH should be helpful.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Dave Davison wrote:Lats night I set Defraggler running ...
I generally think that with today's fast disks defragmentation is a means of bringing forward the failure date of the hard drive. [/curmudgeon]

That said, I've used Defraggler and witnessed this behavior (38% complete when I wake in the morning).

Suggestion: Whenever you run Defraggler, choose the File List tab and take a quick look at what is listed.
I have spotted folders with, literally, thousands of temporary files that can be cleaned out before defragmentation-propper is started.

HTH
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

DaveA wrote:Can you turn OFF the "Registry" cleaner part of this program?
Here's a screenshot of the options list for running PrivaZer:
PrivaZer.jpg
I usually run a full scan. So far (about 3 weeks) I've had no problems.

FWIW, the software is available without charge.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

silverback
5StarLounger

Post by silverback »

Dave
I've been a fan of Defraggler for quite a while, but recently it seems to have got bloated and extremely slow IMHO.
I've just installed Auslogics :free: defragmenter (Free version here) and I'm amazed at its speed. That said, I rarely let my disc get more that 7% defragmented, but it's lightning fast compared to the current Defraggler.
Silverback

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Since moving data round a disk is likely to be just as fast whichever defragmenter gets used, since it is dependent on disk grometry and speed, I am a bit surprised by your statement! You may be using the Auslogics default, where 'empty space' is not consolidated towards the end of the disk, and just the fragmented files are defragmented? I've selected the 'Defrag & Optimise' Auslogics option, and it seems no faster than Defraggler... (This does not really surprise me.)
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your appointment letter indicates you won't be seeing the Consultant...