Measuring Internet Use

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Measuring Internet Use

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I am contemplating a change-of-plan for internet access.
The potential plan promises “$10/mth for 100MB, $30/mth for 500MB, etc.”
Which prompts the question: How can I measure my current needs (in order to compare plans for the future).
Which translates into “Is there a little software doo-dad which will measure and record my internet usage?”.
(1) It would be nice to know my download usage on a daily basis; hourly would be better.
(2) It would be nice to know my upload usage on a daily basis; hourly would be better.
(3) It would be nice to know my download/upload usage in a time interval, stopwatch-wise. How much data use goes on when I [compile my web pages] [check my email] [download podcasts] etc.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: Measuring Internet Use

Post by HansV »

There are several free utilities to monitor bandwidth usage, e.g.
Networx
Bitmeter OS
Best wishes,
Hans

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

Wow, those are terribly expensive plans; I pay $50.00 a month for 200Gb. And, my ISP provides a usage page but I also have phone apps to keep an eye out on my usage.
Cheers, Claude.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

I think the plans Chris is referring to are mobile phone data plans, not ISP packages. Chris???
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Claude wrote:Wow, those are terribly expensive plans; I pay $50.00 a month for 200Gb. And, my ISP provides a usage page but I also have phone apps to keep an eye out on my usage.
Out of curiosity, Claude, what is the up/down bandwidth of your plan and where does this fit in the range of plans offered by your ISP?
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

PaulB wrote:I think the plans Chris is referring to are mobile phone data plans, not ISP packages. Chris???
Of course, :stupidme: Note to self: Never post in the morning before having had a cup of coffee.

Our mobile plans are: unlimited SMS and phone calls, 3Gb of data, $50.00 per month and the mobile carrier has a free app which allows you to check the usage.
Cheers, Claude.

Claude
cheese lizard

Post by Claude »

PaulB wrote:Out of curiosity, Claude, what is the up/down bandwidth of your plan and where does this fit in the range of plans offered by your ISP?
Up and down are part of the 200Gb bandwidth. After 200Gb, the services get slowed down.
Cheers, Claude.

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

HansV wrote:There are several free utilities to monitor bandwidth usage, e.g.
Networx
Bitmeter OS
I use Networx and find it very comprehensive
Jeff

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:There are several free utilities to monitor bandwidth usage, e.g.
Networx
Bitmeter OS
Thanks hans.
I tried first with NetWorx, but I got confused by the multiple download buttons. After inadvertently downloading and installing “InstallConverter_TSV17XOPH.exe” and “InstallConverter_TSV28F3C2.exe”, I went uninstalled all three, went back to my System restore and then re-installed BitMeter.
BitMeter seems to deliver what I want, from its Summary tab.
Untitled.png
Whoop, as we say in the trade, dee-doo!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PaulB wrote:I think the plans Chris is referring to are mobile phone data plans, not ISP packages. Chris???
No, I think it is an equivalent to an ISP package.
You rent or buy the little key thingo, then you pay so-much per month to get internet access anywhere in Canada.

I suspect that it would/will prove to be WAY more expensive than, say, BELL hooking up as an ISP to existing residential networks. Typically around $40/month in Toronto. Rogers is about the same.

The key-thingo would suit someone who
(1) regularly worked as a contractor in a large bank that inhibited general internet access
(2) spent sunny days sitting in a park with the laptop
(3) spent time looking after little-old-ladys who didn't have internet access
None of which apply to me.
Although they say the weather will improve any day now; it can't get worse.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Claude wrote:Our mobile plans are: unlimited SMS and phone calls, 3Gb of data, $50.00 per month and the mobile carrier has a free app which allows you to check the usage.
... and, Claude, I suspect your plans include a whole lot of services.
I'm guessing that by looking at a 1-item package I'm not getting any bulk-up savings which would apply if I decided to get my phone service (land and mobile) and TV-cable through BELL.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

jaystarter wrote:I use Networx and find it very comprehensive
Thanks Jeff.
I might try it later.
As I replied to Hans, I found it confusing to download the app. Too many other buttons with "DOWNLOAD", and the two applications I tried to install were plagued with add-on snags for search engines, home pages, ...

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

After reading your 'Turbo Stick' thread I now realize why the bandwidth you quote above is so expensive. Bell's Turbo Stick and Rogers' Rocket Stick are essentially mobile phones that you plug into a USB port on your computer. They provide a data connection to the internet through the mobile phone system. This is much more expensive than a cable or DSL connection from an ISP, but does allow for good mobility.
Regards,
Paul

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PaulB wrote:Bell's Turbo Stick and Rogers' Rocket Stick are essentially mobile phones ...
:cheers: :chocciebar: :clapping: :fanfare: :thankyou:
Thanks again, Paul.
Yes; your distinction makes sense. I see now that I am essentially buying a "mobile phone" device that taps into the internet.
(Goes back to drawing board for more thoughts ...)