video with unwanted subtitles

royfarnol
StarLounger

video with unwanted subtitles

Post by royfarnol »

I downloade4d an old film. It is in English but for some reason it has French subtitles, I'd like to get rid of them but can see no way how to do it.

Your advice appreciated. Thanks.

HansV
Administrator

Re: video with unwanted subtitles

Post by HansV »

If you downloaded the film from a video streaming site, the subtitles have probably been embedded in the film, and you won't be able to remove them.
On the other hand, if you downloaded the film as a set of DVD files, you may be able to turn off subtitles, depending on your media player.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

As Hans says, some subtitles are embedded into the movie and cannot be removed. If they are low enough, you could push them off the screen by adjusting the position of the movie in the player window. This you can do in the options of the player (depending on which player you are using too!)

If you use MPC (Media Player Classic) which comes with the K-Lite Codec Pack, you can try that out (though it's not IMHO the greatest solution to embedded subtitles!).
Also see this detailed Q&A list which deals with many aspects of controlling subtitles in the MPC player. Maybe you can puickup something new or find the solution in it somewhere.

:whisper: PS: What has video and subtitles got to do with E-mail, Browsers and Social Networking?
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi royfarnol,
AFAIK, subtitles only get added to the film, is when you burn the files to a DVD. I use http://store.westerndigital.com/store/w ... D.13831900" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; to play mine and subtitles can be ON / OFF.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Rudi wrote: :whisper: PS: What has video and subtitles got to do with E-mail, Browsers and Social Networking?
I have moved this thread from the Social Networking forum to the Other Applications forum.
Best wishes,
Hans

royfarnol
StarLounger

Post by royfarnol »

Thanks to HansV, Rudi & Roderunner for the unsubtitling information. (Another new English word?)

I looked for a "video"-type board and thought that social networking was the nearest flavour. I spurned "other" as much too bland. A scrumptious "multi-media" board is required perhaps?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

"Social networking" is intended for discusssions about Facebook, Google+, Twitter and the like, not about multi-media.

We don't get enough questions about multi-media to warrant a separate forum for it, so you'll have to put up with this bland one...
Best wishes,
Hans