Printing double side from Acrobat to an HP printer

jmt356
SilverLounger

Printing double side from Acrobat to an HP printer

Post by jmt356 »

I am trying to print a PDF through Adobe Acrobat. However, I cannot find the option to print on both sides of the paper. When I select the HP Deskjet D1500 series printer, the option appears. However, when I go back to the printer that I am using, the HP Deskjet 1050 J410 series printer, it is not there. Is there anything I can do to make the option to print on both sides of the page appear or does the fact that the option is not there mean that the printer or driver does not support printing on both sides? I bought the HP Deskjet 1050 J410 series printer recently and I would find it hard to believe that HP did not program the printer or driver to do such a simple task with the amount that printer technology has advanced.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Re: Printing double side from Acrobat to an HP printer

Post by HansV »

Aparently this printer can't print double-sided.

From HP Deskjet 1050A All-in-One Printer - J410g support:
NOTE:You can print your document on both sides of the paper, instead of just one side. Click on the Advanced button on the Paper/Quality or Layout tab. From the Pages to Print drop-down menu select Print Odd Pages Only . Click OK to print. After the odd numbered pages of the document have been printed, remove the document from the output tray. Reload the paper in the input tray with the blank side facing up. Return to the Pages to Print drop-down menu and then select Print Even Pages Only . Click OK to print.
Best wishes,
Hans

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hi JMT,

If I have the model correct, the printer does not print double sided automatically. You can set it to print, odd pages first, then reload the paper in reverse and print the even pages to get a double sided printout.

See the full instructions here: Again...if I have the model correct!

Edit...Oops...sorry. Double post!!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I can hardly believe this. It is a printer I bought in 2013 with scanning functionality; HP couldn't program a simple manual duplex function into the driver? It doesn't seem particularly complex.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It's in the official HP documentation...
Best wishes,
Hans

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

jmt356 wrote:I can hardly believe this. It is a printer I bought in 2013 with scanning functionality; HP couldn't program a simple manual duplex function into the driver? It doesn't seem particularly complex.
Weeeell, you do need extra complicated hardware to suck the paper back in and turn it over to properly print duplex. Unless I'm missing your point?
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

It is not necessary to include hardware to suck the paper back. The cheaper models simply instruct the user to replace the paper into the feeder upside down and the printer then prints the back side.
Regards,

JMT

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You may deplore HP's design decision, but there's not much you can do about it. I fear you'll have to live with it, or buy another printer that has better duplex capabilities.
Best wishes,
Hans

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Either I was missing something or the driver for the HP Deskjet 1050 J410 automatically updated, but I am now seeing Manually Print on Both Sides as an option in the Print dialogue, right under the entry for the number of Pages.
Regards,

JMT

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

jmt356 wrote:Either I was missing something or the driver for the HP Deskjet 1050 J410 automatically updated, but I am now seeing Manually Print on Both Sides as an option in the Print dialogue, right under the entry for the number of Pages.
Yet another SWH.
Something Wonderful Happened :clapping:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Actually, what I was noticing below was that printing on both sides of the Page is available in the Word dialogue box, not in the Adobe Acrobat Print dialogue box. So it was not that my driver was automatically updated or that I noticed something I was previously missing. Rather, what happened is that I was previously using (and posting about) Acrobat, which continues not to allow double-sided printing, but then I saw the option for double-sided printing in Word.

Therefore, it appears that printing on both sides of the page is available based on a combination of both hardware and software. For example, Word allows me to print on both sides of the page for any printer I select, but Acrobat only allows me to print on both sides of the page for the HP Deskjet D1500 series printer, but not for the HP Deskjet 1050 J410 series printer. I find this very unusual, confusing and surprising.
Regards,

JMT

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Yes, there is a wizard within Word to do this double sided printing. But in Adobe, you need to do all of it manually. Print the odd numbered pages, the place the pages in your input try so they will be printed on the blank side and then print out the even pages.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living