Update: CCleaner v4.10 released

HansV
Administrator

Update: CCleaner v4.10 released

Post by HansV »

Piriform has released version 4.10 of the popular CCleaner utility.

Changes:
  • Improved Firefox 26 cleaning
  • Improved Firefox extension management
  • Improved Shutdown after Cleaning and /SHUTDOWN command-line
  • Added new cleaning scheduler (CCleaner Professional only)
  • Added Facebook Metro, Picasa 3, Spotify, Wondershare Video Converter Ultimate, Kingsoft Office 2013 and Sublime Text cleaning
  • Improved Audicity cleaning
  • Improved localization and language support
  • Minor GUI improvements and bug fixes
Download from CCleaner - Builds.

The "lean" version that doesn't include an offer for unwanted bundled software usually appears several days after the initial release.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Re: Update: CCleaner v4.10 released

Post by PaulB »

HansV wrote:The "lean" version that doesn't include an offer for unwanted bundled software usually appears several days after the initial release.
Just downloaded and installed CCleaner 4.10 from the builds site. There does not appear to be any unwanted bundled software in the installer.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I didn't either, but I think it might still be offered on some computers.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

HansV wrote:I didn't either, but I think it might still be offered on some computers.
It sure tried to slip in Chrome on my DL.
Capture.JPG
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Did this show up at the download stage or at the install stage? Why you and not me? Browser related? Inquiring minds want to know!
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I have a feeling that Microsoft Security Essentials suppresses the offer, but I have no proof for that.
Best wishes,
Hans

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

If that is indeed the case, it also applies to Windows Defender. I'm running Win8.1.
Regards,
Paul

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The wouldn't surprise me - Windows Defender for Windows 8(.1) and Windows Security Essentials for Windows 7 share the same code base.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

PaulB wrote:Did this show up at the download stage or at the install stage? Why you and not me? Browser related? Inquiring minds want to know!
That was during the install stage. They slipped that choice screen in before the actual file install.
Browser related? I am running Firefox and Windows 7. I'm just lucky, I guess?
BOB

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

.....just a quicky, I saw this freebie recommended on the lounge many moons ago, took advantage of it and decided to run it quite regularly -that was until last week when the techie in the local shop sort of turned his nose up when I mentioned having used it for so long. How beneficial is it gents? Regards Dave.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Dave Davison wrote:.....just a quicky, I saw this freebie recommended on the lounge many moons ago, took advantage of it and decided to run it quite regularly -that was until last week when the techie in the local shop sort of turned his nose up when I mentioned having used it for so long. How beneficial is it gents? Regards Dave.
Dave, that was one techie's opinion...that should not count for much (unless its a hundred techie's that say the same thing!!_)
I can cancel his opinion with my own to say that I think it is a quality app...esp. since it is free! (Never had issues with it myself).
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I've been using CCleaner for years since it's a convenient way to remove temporary files etc. It has never caused problems for me.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Dave Davison wrote:.....just a quicky, I saw this freebie recommended on the lounge many moons ago, took advantage of it and decided to run it quite regularly -that was until last week when the techie in the local shop sort of turned his nose up when I mentioned having used it for so long. How beneficial is it gents? Regards Dave.
If that techie mentions it again, turn up your nose at him. :evilgrin:
I agree with the others here that it is a good quality utility and safe to use.
BOB

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks.....very reassuring ..........what are your opinions about Zone Alarm and AVG, the rather old laptop I have has the former which constantly flashes a [annoying] pop up at the bottom of the screen, warning that some devious activity is taking place whenever I perform some on line action. Many thanks Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I can't say anything about those, since I've never used them. These last years, I've relied on the built-in Windows Firewall and on Windows Security Essentials. They have never let me down, but that doesn't imply anything negative about ZoneAlarm and AVG.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Hans, the refurbished computer I am currently using has the windows firewall set to ON and the updates set (presumably by the shop owner) to "Notify me but don't download or install". He has also loaded Superantispyware and Avira saying they are his preferences and should be adequate for me too. Would you say it is prudent to set the "Downloads" to Automatic or leave it a sit is? Thank you Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you'd like to review updates before installing them, the current setting is fine.
If you always install all updates offered by Microsoft anyway, you might as well select Automatic.
Best wishes,
Hans

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Slightly off-topic, but still re CCleaner - Well, Piriform really! I've noticed with recent CCleaner updates that if I respond to the automatic prompt for new version, Piriform (I assume it's Piriform) pushes me to fileHippo for the free download - with all the related 'rubbish' that that engenders! The only way I've found to get the update from Piriform itself is to close the webpage and then retype www. piriform.com - when I do that, selecting the 'free' download automatically triggers the Piriform download rather than fileHippo. Am I just being unlucky here or is Piriform pushing on behalf of Hippo? Not really an issue now I've found out how to circumvent Hippo!!
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

It does look like FileHippo is now the primary download location:
S0531.png
I always use the link to the Builds page in the first post in this thread; the download links on the Builds page are always to Piriform.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

aekyall wrote:Slightly off-topic, but still re CCleaner - Well, Piriform really! I've noticed with recent CCleaner updates that if I respond to the automatic prompt for new version, Piriform (I assume it's Piriform) pushes me to fileHippo for the free download - with all the related 'rubbish' that that engenders! The only way I've found to get the update from Piriform itself is to close the webpage and then retype www. piriform.com - when I do that, selecting the 'free' download automatically triggers the Piriform download rather than fileHippo. Am I just being unlucky here or is Piriform pushing on behalf of Hippo? Not really an issue now I've found out how to circumvent Hippo!!
Regards,
I don't think it's FileHippo that's putting all that "related rubbish" in the download but Piriform itself.
In Hans's screenshot, you can still select which site to download from.
FileHippo.com
Download.com
Piriform.com
Probably just load shifting from Piriform servers to the other two listed.
Capture.JPG
BOB