Adobe reader 10.1.9

aekyall
4StarLounger

Adobe reader 10.1.9

Post by aekyall »

Windows 7 HP

Just an observation really, but an issue that took me a while to sort out!

Adobe reader offered me an update from 10.1.8 to 10.1.9 yesterday. I accepted and everything went smoothly (I had previously had adobe set as my default .pdf reader) - However, when I tried to open a .pdf file not only couldn't I open files in Adobe, but couldn't in Sumatra either, unless I saved the file first and then opened the reader and then opened the .pdf file from there.

Went to Contol Panel/default programs and found that the .pdf file extension was missing from the list! Not only that, I couldn't seem to find a way to add the missing file extension to the list (I'm sure that XP had an option to add a file extension?).

Anyway, finally sorted it out by opening Adobe Reader, selecting Edit/Preferences and, under the General heading, selected the option 'select default .pdf handler' - That did the trick although I had to reboot my computer before the file extension was back in the list.

Have no idea why updating the program should result in the file extension being removed from the list, nor why I couldn't find an option that allowed me to add one! Any offers on the last issue please? :scratch:
Regards,
Keith

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Adobe reader 10.1.9

Post by Rudi »

It seems like you need to use the Windows Indexing feature to add extensions; if I understand this article correctly.
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Thanks Rudi - Looks like that's the way to go. Interestingly, I went through the process to see what was in the list and noticed that where I had managed to re-instate the .pdf extension and associate it with Adobe, the extension seemed to have a different 'filter description' than all the others in the list, indicating that the Registered IFilter is not found - whatever that means! Anyway, my .pdf files are opening correctly now as far as I can tell so not sure what, if any, impact the IFilter not being found is/will have!

Thanks for the pointer, much appreciated.
Regards,
Capture.GIF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Keith

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Searches on the web reveal the following: 64-bit versions of Windows has a problem indexing PDF files. Windows Search uses IFilter to help it index files, and the PDF IFilter for 64-bit Windows is missing. (This probably applies to 64-bit Vista and 64-bit XP as well)

I cannot say I know much about this and I certainly have not tested/verified this on my side, so follow the advice with caution:

See: http://henrik.familiendamgaard.dk/blog/ ... -7-64-bit/
And: http://www.documentsnap.com/how-to-fix- ... -7-64-bit/
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Have you tried finding a PDF document in Windows Explorer (or File Explorer), right clicking and selecting "Open With" then selecting "Chose default program...". In the ensuing dialog chose your PDF reader of choice making sure that "Use this app for all .pdf files" is checked. Should solve the issue.

Wording and such is for Windows 8 but it's pretty similar under Windows 7.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Thanks Rudi - Having read the two links I now understand what the IFilter is used for! As I've sorted out setting the default program to open .pdf's It isn't going to affect me - I don't do any searches within the files so I'll leave well alone. I have booked marked both links though, in case the need should arise at some point. Thanks again for the help.
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Paul,
Thanks for suggestion. As I've managed to restore .pdf file extension by using Adobe's Edit/Preferences route everything seems to be back to normal. I did go through what you suggested though and it seems a useful, and quick, way of setting the default should the link be broken; so I've made a note for future reference. Grateful for info.
Regards,
Regards,
Keith