Foxit reader

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Foxit reader

Post by Rudi »

aekyall wrote:Hi Rudi,
My operating system is Windows 7 Home Premium, 64 bit (Honest :innocent: !). I do note however that Foxit installs itself on my system in the Program Files (x86) folder of my C: drive (where all my downloaded programs appear to reside). Assume that the folder is just that, a folder and it shouldn't make any difference (it's certainly where the previous version of Foxit resided)?
Regards,
That's all fine....not the issue then. Just chanced it :grin:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Foxit Reader is a 32-bit application (there is no 64-bit version as far as I know), so it is installed in the 'Program Files (x86)' folder on a system with 64-bit Windows. This is not the cause of your problem - it works fine on my PC with 64-bit Windows 7 Home Premium.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

If the issue might have something to do with adverts being pushed to your PC...

What anti-virus / internet security suite are you running? Could it be your security (including your firewall) is blocking an advert that Foxit is pushing? I wouldn't recommend it for anything other than a quick experiment but you could try disabling your security for a brief moment while you try and open Foxit?

Ken

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

I have NIS 2013 - As suggested, tried turning the firewall and antivirus elements off briefly while opening Foxit - no difference I'm afraid. I'm pretty sure that if NIS was blocking something it would (should?) tell me - I've had a look at its history file and cannot see anything in there that might indicate something being blocked.
Thanks,
Regards,
Keith

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

:laugh: Another idea bites the dust!

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

I'm not totally sure why/how, but I seem to have managed to resolve my Foxit problem!!! Sitting here doing nothing (well, very little) I decided, for want of something better to do, to again download version 606, go to preferences and untick the start and advert page. Once done, I just closed the application and went again to Foxit's homepage (rather than 'check for updates') and selected to download version 611 - This time, once downloaded, it prompted me that it would replace my previous version (it didn't do this when using the check for updates option) - I went through the various 'next' processes and Foxit opened just as it had all the previous times (ie, no toolbar, just the blank screen). However, this time when I right clicked on the blank screen I was presented with a number of options, one of which led me to finding and displaying the toolbar. Once I had that it was only a matter of going through all the various drop down menus until I found the option to show or hide the ribbon. The rest is history! I'd like to be able to detail here exactly what all the options I got when I right clicked, but I cannot remember them and don't want to tempt fate by trying to recreate the scenario.

Thank you all for your help, I wouldn't have got it sorted without all the useful suggestions/tips, and the infinite patience shown, which gave me the confidence to play around with the downloads/applications etc.

Incidentally, I tried re-ticking the show start/advert page once everything was sorted out - it caused the script error to reappear.

:clapping: :clapping: :clapping: :thankyou:
Capture.GIF
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Keith

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Congratulations! All's well that ends well...
Best wishes,
Hans

KimSR
NewLounger

Post by KimSR »

aekyall wrote:Thank you all for your help, I wouldn't have got it sorted without all the useful suggestions/tips, and the infinite patience shown, which gave me the confidence to play around with the downloads/applications etc.
Yayyyy!! Well done, mate! (Feeling somewhat relieved that I may have been helpful after all...)

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

aekyall wrote:this time when I right clicked on the blank screen I was presented with a number of options
I guess we didn't think of that one up front! (Who would have though....)
Thanks for the update. Now I can put my focus back on Xmas.... :laugh:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Hi Rudi,
Along with all the suggestions to try using combinations of F keys, I had tried right clicking on the blank screen before - all I got on previous attempts was the standard options of 'Move, Size, Minimise, Maximise and Close' - So something different occurred this time around, because the list of options I got all had tick boxes alongside them; some were already ticked, other not. I'm not now sure which one I ticked that did the trick (I went through all the unticked ones, one by one!). I think that there were two problems and the script error problem was unrelated to the main one of getting the task bar open - that's an uneducated guess though :scratch:
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

You don't use dual screens, by any chance? I've noticed on (very few) occasions that the main viewing window will open on my secondary screen (as preferred) but the toolbar opens on the main screen...
Leif

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

No dual screens Leif
Regards,
Regards,
Keith