Everything....(on a lighter note)

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Re: Everything....(on a lighter note)

Post by AlanMiller »

Rudi wrote:Truecrypt is not "secure" if mounted. Really its just a virtual drive. So Everything has access to it to search.
Once you unmount the Truecrypt drive, it is a truly encrypted file.
Yes, but I'm wondering if there are any telltale traces of its contents left on the host after the unmount.

Alan

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

There have been reports that your encryption key may still be in memory somewhere until you reboot.
StuartR

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

StuartR wrote:There have been reports that your encryption key may still be in memory somewhere until you reboot.
How about programs like Everything, which automatically begin indexing a new volume which is assigned a drive letter? Maybe they dump onl cached copies somewhere. Copernic may be similar. These could represent serious threats.

Alan

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Yes, I agree, you would need to be careful not to copy secure data from the encrypted partition to a non encrypted one. One way to avoid this might be to place the index database on an encrypted partition.
StuartR

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

To hop back to the original topic, I've used Exalead One Desktop search (hard to find now) since Copernic stopped indexing network drives and didn't index OpenDocument format files (from Open/LibreOffice).
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

jonwallace wrote:To hop back to the original topic, I've used Exalead One Desktop search (hard to find now) since Copernic stopped indexing network drives and didn't index OpenDocument format files (from Open/LibreOffice).
Is it Exalead one:desktop 4.5? I might give it a whirl. Any disadvantages over Copernic?

Alan

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

Better with 4.6 from http://en.kioskea.net/download/download ... ne-desktop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not a disadvantage as such, but it runs in a browser. It's easy enough to bookmark the proper page, and when I used Opera, I created a search box for it on the toolbar. (pesky Firefox won't let me create two search boxes...)
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

jonwallace wrote:Better with 4.6 from http://en.kioskea.net/download/download ... ne-desktop" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Not a disadvantage as such, but it runs in a browser. It's easy enough to bookmark the proper page, and when I used Opera, I created a search box for it on the toolbar. (pesky Firefox won't let me create two search boxes...)
Seems that link I found is also to 4.6. Being a browser display, can it preview PDF, DOC, XLS etc. the way Copernic does? I find this one of the big (if incomplete) advantages of Copernic.

Alan

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Just downloaded Copernic to see how it compares with Everything......

...After download and a run through, my opinion......
---------------------------------------------------------------
Its a really nice looking and organised interface and the search is quite responsive (once the indexing has taken place). Copernic has a large install file of over 16MB and there is a small lag in the interface when switching between options and searches. OTOH, Everything has a minute footprint, zero delays on a very simple interface and its search response is instantaneous. For my needs I still find Everything best (including the ability to manage the searched item from the same context menu as in Explorer (Copernic does not have this option - in the Free version at least). I know that its opinion based, and some will prefer Copernic based on their experience/needs. My opinion, I'm going back to Everything. :smile:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Rudi wrote:Just downloaded Copernic to see how it compares with Everything......

...After download and a run through, my opinion......
---------------------------------------------------------------
Its a really nice looking and organised interface and the search is quite responsive (once the indexing has taken place). Copernic has a large install file of over 16MB and there is a small lag in the interface when switching between options and searches. OTOH, Everything has a minute footprint, zero delays on a very simple interface and its search response is instantaneous. For my needs I still find Everything best (including the ability to manage the searched item from the same context menu as in Explorer (Copernic does not have this option - in the Free version at least). I know that its opinion based, and some will prefer Copernic based on their experience/needs. My opinion, I'm going back to Everything. :smile:
I see them as quite different but complementary tools. I use Everything to search for file names I might recall partially or generically or whatever. I use Copernic to index and search for content and find the inbuilt preview features, with "search within" capability invaluable.

Alan

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Actually, search within is a cool feature and something I overlook in my playing with the free version. I have already uninstalled it, but could I ask if you are aware if the free version supports search within, and if so, can it search within PDF's?

OK...answered my own question.
It does.

I just hope it is available in the free version!

Alan, you may just have convinced me to re-install as this is a useful feature and one I would need. To date I have been using an out of date (ancient) and ugly search program to do this. I'll give Copernic a go again focusing on this option

Cheers
Regards,
Rudi

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Rudi wrote:Actually, search within is a cool feature and something I overlook in my playing with the free version. I have already uninstalled it, but could I ask if you are aware if the free version supports search within, and if so, can it search within PDF's?

OK...answered my own question.
It does.

I just hope it is available in the free version!
I'll just conform that with a "Yes". And it does a very good job of it too IMO. Here I searched for Baysian distribution and you can see that the preview window highlights each occurrence of each word, with its own colour-coding, as well as providing a separate "Find Next" button for each word.
Copernic1.jpg
Alan, you may just have convinced me to re-install as this is a useful feature and one I would need. To date I have been using an out of date (ancient) and ugly search program to do this. I'll give Copernic a go again focusing on this option

Cheers
I think you'll like it. It seems less resource-hungry than the Exalead:one program I have also just trialled. The only problem I've found is the limited range of file types, since it's a bit old now. However, if you're using the older (and better IMO) version 2.3, then I did find this old tip to get rid of the update nag:

I've been able to disable Copernic 2.3 "update feature" so I can continue using the 2.3 version without the nagging prompts to update...
First, exit the Copernic program by right-clicking the icon in the system tray.
In Regedit, go to Local Machine-->Software-->Copernic-->DesktopSearch2-->System.
There are three entries of interest: LastSoftwareUpdate, LastSoftwareUpdateShown and UpdateAvailable.
Open your Windows system clock and change your system date to some date very far away, like October 2020.
Open Copernic Desktop Search again; you will get an "update" notification. Click Cancel.
Go back to Regedit and hit "F5"; the LastSoftwareUpdateShown value will have changed. Copy the hex value in this key to the LastSoftwareUpdate key. Then change UpdateAvailable value to "0".
Change your system time back to today's date.
No more notifications.
Let me know if this works for you!

Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Excellent Alan...
TX for the tips and advice.
Appreciate it.

Now good morning to you, and go to sleep. :doze:
Regards,
Rudi

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Rudi wrote:Excellent Alan...
TX for the tips and advice.
Appreciate it.

Now good morning to you, and go to sleep. :doze:
I just uninstalled Exalead One Desktop search. It didn't index nearly as well as Copernic (failed to find "Bayesian distribution") and was a real pest to uninstall. My :2cents:

Alan