Windows Media Player ver. 12

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Windows Media Player ver. 12

Post by hlewton »

I have a new computer running Windows 7 and it uses Windows Media Player version 12.0.7601.17514 and while trying to play a movie DVD it said I should try updating the video card because it could not play it. Since this is a new computer I really don't want to or think I should have to update the video card's driver but have no idea what my other choices are to get it to play a movie DVD. Any ideas how to fix this even if it is an entirely different player?

Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Re: Windows Media Player ver. 12

Post by HansV »

Windows 7 has the capability to play DVDs built in (this is no longer the case for Windows 8 - you have to get a separate DVD decoder), and I agree with you that the video card in a new computer shouldn't have problems, unless you got a computer with a very low-end video card. Do you know what model video card you have?

(To find out: click the Start button, and type device manager. Press Enter. In Device Manager, expand Display Adapters)
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Hans once you told me how to do a search I downloaded K-Lite Codec Pack and it now plays. I am supposed to have a pretty good video card it is an AMD Raedeon HD 6670. Not sure if it is in fact a good one but since I don't play games it does seem to be working fine for me especially now that it is playing the DVDs. Not sure why it didn't before though. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Installing the K-Lite Codec Pack is a good idea - it lets you play many additional formats.

The Radeon HD 6670 is a capable video card - not the latest and greatest, but suitable for almost any use, including gaming, except perhaps the most demanding 3D games.
Best wishes,
Hans

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks Hans. I knew you had helped me before with a very similar problem but couldn't find it until you told me how to do a specific search.

Still it does seem funny that it would not play the DVD until I installed that codec pack if Windows 7 is supposed to have that capability. OH well just another thing that isn't consistent with MS I guess.
Regards,
hlewton

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I can't explain either why your Windows 7 didn't play DVDs "out of the box", but the important thing is that you can now.
Best wishes,
Hans