Blank box / Host file blocked

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Blank box / Host file blocked

Post by Dave Davison »

Blocked.jpg
Two annoying faults in one post seeing they seem similar; With a web open & a link is selected a grayed out frame appears that nearly fills the entire screen. Clicking the close X reveals the requested page which lurks behind the grayed frame. * When I boot up Avira regards some file as suspect & blocks it. Simply closing the latter down seems to rectify the snag but how can it be avoided? Thanks Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

steveh
SilverLounger

Re: Blank box / Host file blocked

Post by steveh »

Hi Dave

I don't know this piece of software but looking at the Avira website FAQ's it seems you can set a site as an exception by right clicking the umbrella, here is the instructions

Right click on the system tray umbrella and choose "Configure AntiVir". Be sure to tick "Expert mode" -> go to Scanner -> expand Scan -> select Exception -> browse for the file and add it (this is for the on demand scan).

Right click on the system tray umbrella and choose "Configure AntiVir". Be sure to tick "Expert mode" -> go to Guard -> expand Scan -> select Exception -> browse for the file and add it (this is for the on access scan
Steve
http://www.freightpro-uk.com" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
“Tell me and I forget, teach me and I may remember, involve me and I learn.”
― Benjamin Franklin

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

1) Do you use an ad-blocker or something like that in Firefox? If so, it may prevent the popup frame from displaying an advertisement.

2) Apparently Avira blocks direct access to the Hosts file to prevent it from being tampered with, either by accident or maliciously. This is usually a good thing - messing with the Hosts file can cause problems.
If you feel you do need to open the Hosts file, you can temporarily disable the block:
- Right-click the Avira icon in the notification area at the bottom right of the screen.
- Select Configure from the context menu.
- Click Expert Mode.
- Activate General > Security.
- Clear the check box "Protect Windows hosts file from changes".
- Click Apply.

You should now be able to open the Hosts file in Notepad.

I would recommend ticking the check box "Protect Windows hosts file from changes" again when you're done.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Re.the Ad Blocker...yep Hans....following your post number 25339 I followed your instructions to get rid of the irritating videos that appear in the top right hand corner of the screen when viewing You Tube. As for the Avira file blocker I will explore the options given and see what happens. Apart from the slight irritation it causes when booting up if altering the settings is likely to effect the efficiency of Avira I may just leave it. Many thanks Dave.