Is there a 'cheat' for this type of situation

geecee
3StarLounger
Location: Australia - SOUTH MORANG - A northern suburb of the city of MELBOURNE in the state of Victoria

Is there a 'cheat' for this type of situation

Post by geecee »

Is there a 'cheat' for this type of situation? You could answer "Yes! You" (meaning me). I downloaded and installed a programme - Recover Disc 2 - which has a 30 day trial period.

From the Help file:
'What is Recover Disc?

About Recover Disc

Recover Disc is an easy-to-use program that helps you extract data from scratched, damaged or incorrectly burned CD/DVD and Blu-ray discs when regular software can't read them fully or partially. This tool extracts the intact portion of your data and tries to recover problem areas. You can either choose to recover selected files, or save an image of the whole disc.

The program works under Microsoft® Windows 2000/XP/2003/Vista/Windows 7 and supports all types of CD and DVD media with ISO or UDF file systems, including discs burned by video cameras and recorders.'

It has a limitation of two files per day. I recovered two files then thought I'd try to be smart, hoping I could extract a few more. I uninstalled and reinstalled the programme twice and got the following message each time 'This trial version of Recover Disc can recover only two files a day. If you would like to remove this limitation, you can buy the full version and register it with us.'

Likewise, I cannot get any extra days by uninstalling and reinstalling the programme. I thought uninstallers were supposed to get rid of all reference to a programme. What have they left behind and if and when I do finally uninstall the programme are these 'left-overs' still left over? :help: :duck:
George

When we're gaun up the hill o’ fortune, may we ne'er meet a frien' comin' doun!
(When we are going up the hill of fortune, may we never meet a friend coming down!)

:smile: Don't cry because it's over...Smile because it happened.l :smile:

:note: At the end of the day it's midnight. :note:

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Re: Is there a 'cheat' for this type of situation

Post by John Gray »

They are using this method to get you to actually pay for the software. Does this surprise you?

Is your data worth the cost of the software?
John Gray

"(or one of the team)" - how your hospital appointment letter indicates that you won't be seeing the Consultant...

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

See http://www.eileenslounge.com/ucp.php?mode=terms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as there it talks about unlawful acts.
any other material that may violate any laws be it of your country, the country where “Eileen's Lounge” is hosted or International Law.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Howdy, GeeCee!

I don't think you will be able to get around the 2-day limitation. It relies on your IP address to identify you. HTH
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

A quick web search shows that this software can be purchased for the reasonable sum of $27, that hardly seems excessive if your data has any value to you.
StuartR

geecee
3StarLounger
Location: Australia - SOUTH MORANG - A northern suburb of the city of MELBOURNE in the state of Victoria

Post by geecee »

Thanks all for your replies.

No need to commit any unlawful acts. I found Roadkil's Unstoppable Copier a free programme and fast. There couldn't have been too much damage to the CD as everything was recovered.
George

When we're gaun up the hill o’ fortune, may we ne'er meet a frien' comin' doun!
(When we are going up the hill of fortune, may we never meet a friend coming down!)

:smile: Don't cry because it's over...Smile because it happened.l :smile:

:note: At the end of the day it's midnight. :note: