Anyone understand SkyDrive?

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Anyone understand SkyDrive?

Post by jaystarter »

I have installed the SkyDrive desktop prog to my laptop (Vista) and desktop (Win 7). the Idea is I have a spreadsheet that I input new information throughout the day. I thought that if I altered the document on 1 computer it would sync with the other computer so that whichever I used - laptop or desktop - the spreadsheet would show the up to date changes.
I have the spreadsheet in the documents folder in the main SkyDrive folder. I've tried various sharing options but cant get it to work, I must be missing something. :sad:
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Re: Anyone understand SkyDrive?

Post by HansV »

Make sure that the SkyDrive application is running - files will only be synchronized with the cloud if the desktop application is active.

See How to Sync Files & Fetch Unsynced Files with SkyDrive and SkyDrive on your computer.
Best wishes,
Hans

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

I don't get it, skydrive is always running on both computers.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Jeff

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Strange - with that setup, files in the SkyDrive folder should indeed be synchronized automatically between all connected computers.

If you can't get it to work, I'd try Dropbox instead - it works flawlessly for me, and I find its web interface easier to use than that of SkyDrive. The basic version (limited storage) is free.
Best wishes,
Hans

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Jeff, I have SD app installed on both my pc's with the SD folders on D: drive. If I add or change anything on 1 pc it gets copied to the other providing I wait for the changes to get updated before shutting down.
I suggest you access your SD account directly with your browser. Select your pc's one at a time then click as in the red box. You will then be asked to re sign-in on both pc's. If you have used the default location, use it again.
RR.JPG
Click image to enlarge it.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Tried signing out, signing in, fiddling and messing all to no avail. I don't know what I've done wrong but I've downloaded Dropbox and it worked flawlessly straight away. I was drawn to SkyDrive for the 7GB of free space but I'll make do with the 2GB from Dropbox for the time being.
Jeff

jaystarter
3StarLounger

Post by jaystarter »

Update on this.

For some reason this morning my laptop flashed a pop up asking me to sign in to my SkyDrive account - which I did. Hey presto everything then synched. Dropbox seems so much simpler in layout to use though, so using that in preference at the moment
Jeff

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

jaystarter wrote:Tried signing out, signing in, fiddling and messing all to no avail. I don't know what I've done wrong but I've downloaded Dropbox and it worked flawlessly straight away. I was drawn to SkyDrive for the 7GB of free space but I'll make do with the 2GB from Dropbox for the time being.
Hi Jeff, if I remember correctly, sending invitations to other email addresses, real or not, will give more gb's to Dropbox storage.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.