Using AC3Filter in XPP

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Using AC3Filter in XPP

Post by hlewton »

AC3Filter Configuration

A while back it was recommended that I install the AC3Filter because I was not getting audio on some things and very low audio on some other files. It has worked very well until today when something strange has happened. There are 2 icons for it in the systray that don’t look anything like the 1 that was always there before. When I point to them they just say “AC3Filter Configuration” and when I click on them they open a configuration window. They both do the exact same thing. So since I have never had 2 of these icons before I got a bit concerned and thought maybe they were trying to tell me that I needed an update. So I went to the Homepage following a link on the configuration page I had just opened. There does seem to be an update a lot newer than the one I am currently using so I tried downloading and installing it. My virus protection immediately blocked a known virus and it must have been a very serious one because I had to reboot immediately to remove it. It was some “***.exe” file according to the screen I saw as it was rebooting, I didn't catch the name. Anyway as long as that did no damage I am happy to continue to use the version I have but am wondering if anyone knows why all of a sudden I have 2 AC3Filter Configuration icons instead of the usual 1 and if there is anything I can do about it. BTW I have checked using “msconfig” and do not see even one instance of this starting up let alone 2 and there is no choice of “exit” when clicking on either of the icons in the systray.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Using AC3Filter in XPP

Post by stuck »

Google searches turn up hits that refer to some AV packages reporting legit AC3Filter installations as being infected, i.e. the AV software is reporting a false positive. If you got the AC3Filter from the genuine download page then I'd be tempted to suggest you're seeing something similar.

Try asking your question in the AC3Filter forum.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks for that reply. Still I wonder why I am now getting 2 icons instead of the usual 1. Maybe I'll ask that also.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

BTW, in case you've not noticed, RonH asked about updating his AC3Filter recently, on the Win 7 board, see Post 97957.

Ken

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Thanks but since I don't understand a lot about those codec packs and all it didn't help me very much. I did join and post my question at that forum you linked me to but so far have not gotten any reply.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

hlewton wrote:...since I don't understand a lot about those codec packs...
:laugh: you, me and Ron too!

Ken

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

hlewton,
Better than msconfig and much more detailed is "Autoruns."
Just run it and either show all locations or select individual registry locations.
Scan down the results and see if your program is mentioned and how many times it is shown. Then uncheck the box for it or delete it. It's safer to uncheck it first and see it works OK, if so, you can later detete it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... s/bb963902" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

viking33 wrote:hlewton,
Better than msconfig and much more detailed is "Autoruns."
Just run it and either show all locations or select individual registry locations.
Scan down the results and see if your program is mentioned and how many times it is shown. Then uncheck the box for it or delete it. It's safer to uncheck it first and see it works OK, if so, you can later detete it.

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysi ... s/bb963902" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
WOW didn't know so much was running. In any case I only found 1 instance of AC3 Filter running so was unsure if I should uncheck that or not so I didn't because I still need it to run so I get sound with certain files.

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well not sure how much you guys want to hear but:

As far as my systray goes things are back to normal today. Actually normal is not what I told you yesterday. Normal is that there is NO icon in the systray for AC3Filter. I couldn’t check that yesterday because there were 2 of them but turns out the one I thought was was normally there and was an AC3Filter icon is actually a “Controls IDT Audio Settings” icon. No matter how many times I rebooted yesterday I continued to get those 2 icons I mentioned above but I had a suspicion what may have been causing 1 of them.

At startup I have a program called “1 Click Answers” starting and yesterday it apparently was someone’s birthday that is important to those that own that program because every time I would reboot I would see their normal start up window with a big Happy Birthday Bob message in it then I would have to listen to over a minute or so of them singing Happy Birthday. I had a suspicion that “1 Click Answers” may have been causing that second AC3Filter icon to appear but apparently it was causing both of them to appear because today I have none.

I checked using Autorun and I do not even have 1 instance of ACFilter showing up in it today. I have no idea why but I tested a DVD movie and a few "*.wmv” and "*.pps” files to see if I still had audio and I do so I “guess” everything is working as it is supposed to.

All this seems very confusing to me but as long as it all is working fine I am happy with it as it is but not being able to update because of that virus file is still troublesome. BTW I still have not gotten any replies from anyone at AC3Filter’s forum either so I guess I will not be getting any ideas from them.

Just thought I’d report the latest in case anyone was interested.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

Well just in case anyone may be interested I finally got a reply from that AC3 forum and here it is:
Antivirus notes
Sometimes antiviruses may trigger an alert when scanning AC3Filter distributive. Why?
http://www.ac3filter.net/wiki/Antivirus_notes
This seems to be the same thing that stuck posted about "false positives" but not sure that I would go against the recommendations of my Anti virus program to install this program especially since the warning I got was about an ".exe" file which I don't believe the above link is referring to except for the InnoSetup link.
Regards,
hlewton

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

As long I was sure I had downloaded AC3Filter from the genuine original actual official download page then I'd quite happily override my AV's opinion because the genuine original actual official site clearly says some Avs report a false positive.

However, if I had even the slightest doubt about the origin of the AC3Filter app I'd downloaded I'd be running my AV to clean my system.

Ken