Libre Office - still Libre?

aekyall
4StarLounger

Libre Office - still Libre?

Post by aekyall »

Just recently, whenever I open a document using Libre Office, I get a prompt that there is an updated version (see Capture 1). However, when I select the 'download' function and clicked on the 'download main installer' option, I'm presented with a donation request (Capture 2).

I don't seem to be able to ignore the request for a donation as I cannot uncheck any of the option buttons! Has anyone else come up against this? I don't doubt that they deserve all the donations they can get (I'm a big fan of Libre Office), but if, as it seems, I'm compelled to donate in order to download an update doesn't that raise the question of whether it is free any more?

I haven't actually downloaded the software upgrade yet, so perhaps there's an option to ignore the donation request at a later stage :scratch: ?
Capture 1.GIF
Capture 2.GIF
Regards,
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards,
Keith

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Libre Office - still Libre?

Post by Bigaldoc »

I'm still using 3.6.2.2 and I'm surprised that I haven't gotten the usual on-screen notice that there is an update.

So, I went to their web page and was able to download both the installer and help packages. There is a similar notice on the web page to the one you see but it did not hinder the downloading ... (so far!)

I suppose I should consider making a donation since I've used the programs for some time now. But, I will NOT go near PayPal in any fashion...

LibreOffice 4 is here!

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Having read Al's post I went ahead and downloaded both the main installation file and the help package regardless - absolutely no problem and NO further request, at any point, for money! So, perhaps a case of a 'False Positive' !
Regards,
Keith

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

And I, after replying to your post and downloading, went back to read about version 4 and what's going on.

Wow, the list of stuff is quite long and involved. I am NOT a power user by any means, so I don't think I'll get in any hurry to install version 4.

Features » LibreOffice (The "features" of 3.6 and 4.0 are in separate links)

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Al, I'm certainly not a power user either! I ended up with V4 after changing from Open Office, at your suggestion, a while ago now. I update whenever prompted and just carry on using the parts of the program that I need to use, as normal - To be quite honest, using LO as I use it, I don't notice any difference between V3 and V4 - I just see it as keeping things up to date! :grin:
Regards,
Regards,
Keith

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Sounds like we're similar, Keith. I don't know how come I didn't get the prompt that v4 was available. I usually run only Writer or Calc and the prompt is pretty regular. I just ran Calc yesterday to update some medical charts and didn't see a prompt.

Oh well ...

aekyall
4StarLounger

Post by aekyall »

Al, perhaps as I already have a 'version' of V4 then I received a prompt to update to a newer 'version' of V4. You had V3 and, I assume, that as there are no newer versions of V3, hence no prompt? However, that doesn't explain why you didn't get a prompt at some point to upgrade from V3 to V4! Way beyond my comprehension I'm afraid!!
Regards,
Regards,
Keith