Downloading duration difference.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Downloading duration difference.

Post by Dave Davison »

Today I was asked if I could download a 31 minute speech from You Tube for a friend and copy it to DVD (he does not have a computer) and discovered that when I employed Firefox downloader it took 20 minutes so -out id curiosity) decided to do the same using Freemake Downloader to compare the time factor and to my surprise it only took 20 seconds. Why this vast difference between the two please? :thankyou: Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Downloading duration difference.

Post by HansV »

When you downloaded the video file using Firefox downloader, it was placed in your browser's cache.
When you used Freemake Downloader, it saw that the file was already cached, so it didn't have to download it again.
I suspect that Freemake Downloader would take roughly the same time as Firefox downloader if you cleared your cache before using it.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Since you are using a download manger, I would say that the copying of the said files are a Terms of Service violation.

See http://www.youtube.com/t/terms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
5. B. Content is provided to you AS IS. You may access Content for your information and personal use solely as intended through the provided functionality of the Service and as permitted under these Terms of Service. You shall not download any Content unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content. You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content. YouTube and its licensors reserve all rights not expressly granted in and to the Service and the Content.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

DaveA wrote:...
See http://www.youtube.com/t/terms" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
...You shall not download any Content unless you see a “download” or similar link displayed by YouTube on the Service for that Content...
I'm not advocating piracy but do they seriously think that clause will stop video downloads from YouTube?

Ken

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

See house rule number nine.
When Eileen was running "The Lounge", viloation of another site terms of use work arounds were not to be be discussed.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

DaveA wrote:...viloation of another site terms of use work arounds were not to be be discussed.
OK but wasn't it you that started the discussion? :evilgrin:

Ken

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

No, Dave Davison did, the one with the Gray Fox avatar.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

My 'joke' was that no one was talking about another site's terms of service until you mentioned them.

OK perhaps I shouldn't have picked up on that and posed the question I did but if you read my question again you'll see I wasn't asking how to work around another site's terms. I was expressing surprise that such a clause existed when, while not impossible, it would be very difficult to police and enforce it. The end result being that the clause is brought into disrepute and devalued. The opposite of its actual intention, to prohibit piracy.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for enlightening me about something that I was totally unaware of, just as well it was a one off and given as a gift so no gain came my way. Will keep comments in mind thought. Cheers Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave Davison wrote:...no gain came my way...
That's not the point. The point is that by creating a copy at no cost, the owner of the copyright has suffered loss.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Just to clarify this and maybe draw a line in the sand I never thought for one moment that I would be treading on anyone's toes by recording a speech (audio only) by a Prime minister addressing the UN assembly. If anyone is interested in what was said it can be listened to here http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs6uLdcPbac. However, it's appreciated when someone offers guidance or correction, always willing to listen and take notice especially where copyrights are concerned though I doubt there will be such a restriction on an address by a politician. Regards Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

If you follow the link to the YouTube video, you'll see several links at the bottom of the page. In the lower left corner, there is a link labeled Terms. This leads to the page DaveA referred to: Terms of Service.
Section "5. General restrictions on use" of this page explains what you may and may not do with YouTube content:
A. you agree not to distribute any part of or parts of the Website or the Service, including but not limited to any Content, in any medium without YouTube's prior written authorisation, unless YouTube makes available the means for such distribution through functionality offered by the Service (such as the YouTube Player);
(...)
C. you agree not to access Content through any technology or means other than the video playback pages of the Website itself, the YouTube Player, or such other means as YouTube may explicitly designate for this purpose;
(...)
M. You shall not copy, reproduce, distribute, transmit, broadcast, display, sell, license, or otherwise exploit any Content for any other purposes without the prior written consent of YouTube or the respective licensors of the Content.
I assume you haven't obtained prior written consent of YouTube to download the video and to burn it to DVD...
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Will do just that regarding this speech, see what they say & comply. Thanks Dave.