HOME page selection

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

HOME page selection

Post by Dave Davison »

Re : - The ancient "TIME" computer I mentioned in a previous post; I attempted to change the "HOME" page today by clicking on the "Tools" then "Options" tabs but got the following message. ["This operation has been cancelled due to restrictions on this computer. Contact the Systems Administrator.]What setting needs to be changed to overcome this blockage and where are they please? :thankyou: Dave.

Leif
Administrator

Re: HOME page selection

Post by Leif »

What operating system?
What browser?
Leif

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Was this ancient PC a 'business' PC? That is not a domestic PC but one that was once upon a time part of a company network?

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi gents.........I was under the impression that I had responded to the last post but must have hit the wrong button!!! I am running XP 2000 SP3. The Browser was IE {now changed it to Firefox) and yep I suspect the computer had been used in a school or office environment at one time as there is small Green Test Certificate sticker on the side of the box. The techie in the shop put some second hand extra memory in for a £10 so it is now somewhat faster and he was able to change the Home page somehow so I have given the unit to a friend who is struggling for work as a self employed builder & whose computer gave up the ghost some time ago. So -though still rather slow by modern standards - it will serve him till better times come, fingers crossed. :thankyou: Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Glad to hear it's working. I suspect that the home page for Internet Explorer had been locked by the IT department of the organization where the computer was used - stuck was probably thinking in the same direction.
Best wishes,
Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

HansV wrote:...I suspect that the home page for Internet Explorer had been locked by the IT department of the organization where the computer was used - stuck was probably thinking in the same direction.
Indeed I was.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Anyway...............when I took the computer to my local techie he said there is way to get round that problem -whatever it was- and made Google the Home page. That however did not solve all the issues as another showed up in this fashion. It was impossible to type anything into the Google search box as it could not be brought to focus so as I wrote, I decided to install Firefox and that got round the problem. One further bit of help though please, the friend's previous computer was set up to use an HP DeskJet 805C printer but he has mislaid the installation disc, can someone give me the link from where (whatever is required -drivers etc. I suppose) can be downloaded so he can use the printer as he needs it for his business. Thanx Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

HP drivers can be found at http://www8.hp.com/uk/en/support-drivers.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. I don't see DeskJet 805C though.
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I think you have the wrong printer model number. I talked to a friend who works at HP and he assures me there is no such thing as a Deskjet 805c printer.
StuartR