Home Plugs

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Re: Home Plugs

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for clarifying that aspect of the sticks Stuart, it's a simple case of switching off the modem when not in use. regards Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave Davison wrote:...switching off the modem when not in use...
I would NOT recommend turning off/on your router. Broadband connections work best / are most reliable if the router is on, permanently. However, you will be able to leave the router on constantly and turn off/on the wifi feature.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Ken, dues to an elderly member of my household showing early signs of Dementure and in light of the advice I have recently been given by a retired scientist about the dangers of - even low levels of radiation - I have started to switch the modem off when I'm not using the computer with the only slightly minor inconvenience being a somewhat longer logging on period. I must say though that for some weeks now (in light of my opening remark) it had crossed my mind to phone Virgin media to ask if the Wi Fi function of my modem could be disabled seeing it is hard wired to the computer anyway so sure would appreciate it if you can list the steps to achieving that end. Regards Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave Davison wrote:...if you can list the steps to achieving that end..
All I can do is give you an outline of what will be required.
1) You will need to log into your router.
2) You will do that by using your browser (Firefox/Chrome/...) and entering the address of your router into the address bar.
3) The address of your router might be on a label stuck on the router. Or it might be on the paperwork/manual for the router.
4) Once you get to the router, you will see a login page asking you for a username and password. Again, these details might be on a label on the router on on the paperwork that came with the router.
5) Once you have logged in there will be lots of options and somewhere there will be one for the wifi.

I suggest you call your service provider (Virgin) and get them to talk you through the process with you while you are on the phone to them.

Ken
PS I've also sent you a private message.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

My modem/router has a button on the front to enable/disable WiFi; this might be specific to this model (from Zyxel).
Best wishes,
Hans

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

Dave Davison wrote:[...] if the Wi Fi function of my modem could be disabled seeing it is hard wired to the computer anyway [...]
I don't have a modem*, but my router has a button to enable and disable Wi-Fi. Since that isn't always the case, I at first didn't think it worth mentioning; I agree with Ken, just adding that it might be labelled as "radio". Another reason why I hesitated to reply is that the thread has moved a bit off topic.

*Same as Eddie Izzard; so I can't "wipe the Internet".
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

As ever, thanks for each response, I really do appreciate the readiness to point me in the right direction when fumbling in this I.T. fog. Just looked at my router and there is no switch at all only a socket for the mains transformer. Regards Dave. :thankyou: