Home Plugs

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Re: Home Plugs

Post by Dave Davison »

As ever, many thanks for the various posts, it seems that patience is the key to issues like this especially when one has to resort to contacting the customer help line of some manufacturer. I eventually got through to an adviser in (India I suspect) who told me to ensure that the two fields related to "Proxy Server" should be empty. The first had the letter "A" in it and the second had a "0" so upon deleting them the problem was solved. So simple yet frustrating as I could not see any instruction in the manual to so do. It seems the Proxy Server issue was the one that needed attention and that somehow it is connected with the VIERA function of the tv as the red cross changed to a green arrow after deleting the "A" & "0" respectively. I perceive that smart TV's are destined for every home in the near future so maybe this little bit of information will be of help to others who read these threads. :cheers: :clapping:
This was the eventual reply from my email inquiry. Dear Mr Davidson, Thank you for your e-mail. From all the previous conversations we can provide you with a few troubleshooting issues that, hopefully, will solve your issue. ON your TV Menu, please follow the these instructions: Menu -> Network -> IP/DNS Settings -> Proxy Settings -> in this menu if you have any numbers assigned in the cases, please delete everything. After this, please do the following: Menu -> Network -> Connection Test -> when this is done , please let us know what the result was. Kind Regards, Andrew A Customer Service Team Panasonic UK
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Phew! I'm glad it finally works!
Best wishes,
Hans

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

That makes complete sense. You could kill Internet Explorer or Firefox or ... on your PC in exactly the same way, this is nothing to do with Smart TVs
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

It's odd that Dave's TV had these erroneous settings in the Proxy settings field 'out of the box'. Mine wasn't like that. It really did plug and play.

So now that it's sorted Dave should be able to reach the two Christian channels he's interested in by selecting the relevant channel numbers AND reach YouTube by choosing the Viera Connect option on the TV remote and navigating from there.

Have fun!

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

No need really for me to echo that comment Hans but I will as it's another small step for me in my quest to get to grips with this amazing technology. Besides the two Christian channels that free view offer in the UK [which both however, still need an internet connection] there are -for any other readers of the lounge who are inclined to watch the kind of program they broadcast - many options on You Tube. The only slight downside is that typing the title into the search bar is rather slow but I suspect it won't be long before smart tv's (like iPads) will have an onscreen keyboard which will be a great improvement. In the meantime, it is certainly a great innovation to be able to watch internet progs on the tv.
During my time on the lounge I have become aware of at least four other members who have like faith as myself, if there are any others I sure would like to hear from you via a P.M. [as I’m acutely aware the lounge is not for chat like that.] …just -maybe- to share some thoughts about certain happenings world wide in light of Eschatological prognosis. !!! Dave.
Last edited by Dave Davison on 12 Feb 2013, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

If I may revive this thread.....When watching something from You Tube via the home plug app on the tv there are times when watching a lengthy video that circumstanced require it be stopped rather than just paused. When I wish to watch the remainder the set up demands that it must be watched from the beginning again unless the fast forward feature is used however, hitting the OK button only advances the video in 20 second increments. Is anyone aware of a means to fast forward to -or near- the point when the video was stopped please? :thankyou: dave

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave Davison wrote:When watching something from You Tube via the home plug app on the tv...
So your question is not actually about the home plugs, it's about the YouTube app that's available on your Panasonic TV via it's Viera Connect feature, right?

If so, give me a day or so and I'll try and find time to wire up my Panasonic TV to my router and experiment with the YouTude app.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

................thanks Ken, I hope there is a fast forward other than the one explained as it is such a tedious exercise. Cheers Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Reporting back...

The YouTube app available via the Viera Connect platform on my Panasonic TV is as good as useless. There is NO fast forward/reverse, not even in the 20 second jumps you mention. I can play or pause and that's it. Nor can I find a way to make the video full screen.

Google searching has only confirmed my poor experience, there is no fast forward.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for trying anyway Ken, bit of a pitty as there are some interesting documentaries from National Geographic etc. Maybe it's bacause it's early days for smart tv's and they have not got round to adding such a feature. Another dreary function is having to search for & type individual letters into the "Search" section for a particular artist or video title whereas the BBC iPlayer app has an 0n-screen keyboard which is far easier. Maybe I will phone the Panasonic hot line and see what comments thye have to make. Will report back if there is an positive news. Kind rgards Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Until a TV has a means a more sophisticated means of entering information than your average TV remote control (say something as venerable as a good old fashioned keyboard!) then a TV will never be easy to use as a front end to the Internet. I'm not very up to date on smart TV technology but if some ads are to be believed then the inclusion of a camera that can follow your hand movements and understand the gestures you make does make human-TV interaction a bit less clunky than 'typing' by selecting one letter at a time via the numeric keypad on a TV remote but I've no experience of this and we all know ads have a habit of putting a smooth gloss on something that may be a bit rough underneath.

If you want to watch YouTube on your TV on a regular basis your best bet will be to use your TV as the monitor on your PC. If your PC is a desktop box then yes, moving it close to the TV will involve inconvenience but if you have a laptop then all you need is a small table next to the TV to sit it on and suitable video cable to connect it to the TV. Your laptop should connect to your router via your home plug and then you can visit any website not just the tiny selection offered by Panasonic through its Viera platform.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Ken, will keep that last paragraph particularly in mind though there is not not much chance of commandeering the tv set whilst the rest of the family is around. Might just be worth a try after they have all gone to bed. Cheers Dave

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I tried connecting a Windows 7 laptop to the TV and using a wireless keyboard with a builtin trackpad. It didn't work very well as you had to sit far too close to the TV to be able to use the Windows menus.
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

StuartR wrote:I tried connecting a Windows 7 laptop to the TV and using a wireless keyboard with a built in trackpad. It didn't work very well as you had to sit far too close to the TV to be able to use the Windows menus.
If you're trying to use the TV as a monitor at the other side of the room while you stretch out on the sofa then yes, the std. Windows font size makes it virtually impossible to read the screen. So it's no good for browsing The Lounge.

On the other hand if you're prepared to put up with the discomfort of sitting on the floor (and the colour profile of you TV is well set) then using it as a BIG monitor makes looking at photos fun.

What I've found does work is to use the laptop to find the catchup TV player / YouTude video you're interested in and get it ready to go on the laptop then plug it in to the TV and set it going. Now you can sit back on the sofa and enjoy the view.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Ken,

I can't find the <like> or <+1> button, but I do completely agree with your post
StuartR

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

StuartR wrote:I can't find the <like> or <+1> button, but I do completely agree with your post
:rofl: This from the man that not that long ago gave the impression that 'social meja' was not for him.

Ken

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Ken,

I have been blogging, tweeting, hanging out and facebooking for a couple of years now. At first it was just work related stuff but now it's the same sort of balance as my life - mostly work!
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

stuck wrote:
StuartR wrote:I can't find the <like> or <+1> button, but I do completely agree with your post
:rofl: This from the man that not that long ago gave the impression that 'social meja' was not for him.

Ken
That was me, not Stuart, I think.
Still not for me. :flee: :innocent:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi Leif....first I must appologize for not responding to your last post, I can only asume I did not look at the thread or I would most certainly have done. Regarding your question, No I have not attempted that as I don't have a cable long enough to reach from the modem which is in an upstairs bedroom. The other reason may be because I managed to get the plugs to function as designed HOWEVER for some unknown reason they have just stopped working so I took them to the shop owner today who plugged them both into a double socket and attempted to pair them using the little button on one end but they failed to pair (ie) all three lights did not come on and stay on. He suggested I use the small CD which came with the units to prime the computer but I don't recall having to do so initially nor for that matter can I even remember seeing a CD in the box. I brought the plugs home, plugged them into a double mains socket and held the "Pair" buttoms in for five seconds which lit up the top two lights on both plugs but after connecting one to the modem and the other to the TV I still get the message "Feature not available". Any suggestions would be appreciated as I need to vacate the computer room for a few days to make way for family visiting from Australia and would appreciate being able to view You Tube on the tv. :scratch: :scratch: Regards Dave.