Home Plugs

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: Home Plugs

Post by stuck »

Leif wrote:What I can't understand is why there should be a requirement for an internet connection.
I don't think these (and several other) Freeview channels are transmitted by the terrestrial transmitters (**except, see below). Instead, they are pumped out across the Internet. Thus to receive them you need a broadband connection and your Freeview decoder (whether it be the one built into the TV or a separate box) must also be capable of converting the datastream coming down the broadband connection into a UHF signal the TV can display.

**All that is transmitted across the air is the welcome page you see if you select that channel on your TV. A page like that will take up almost no bandwidth within whatever multiplex it's coded, hence you can pack in dozens of such 'channels', without reducing the quality. Do you remember that one of the failings of On Digital (apart from the piracy that stole it's revenue) was that they tried to pack in too many channels, with the result pictures froze/pixelated at regular intervals.

Ken

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Ah, that makes sense! Thanks :smile:
Leif

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

:blush: I thought so too, not bad considering I made it up as I typed it :grin:

Ken

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Been reading this thread with interest but just what IS a "home plug?"
( in USA English, without a comment from our John G ) :innocent: :grin:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi guys I must say how appreciate I am at the ongoing replies to dig me out of this rut. Initially, I had selected the Manual setting but -as advised earlier in the thread- I repeated the sequence by selecting the "Auto" option which succeeded in the TV set harvesting the correct I.P address from my router so I don't know what else to do on that score. I have just rechecked the two stations which both state an internet connection is a MUST to receive the progs, and I'm certain they both state 24/7 broadcasting (at least one does) so there should be a constant signal. Further fiddling has revealed that (a) there is a more recent software version than the one currently installed but (b) when I try to update it manually it says my current version is up to date. Double Dutch we used to say as kids. (see screenshots). Some might think this is a lot of trouble to go to for just two stations but in fact beside those, there are 8 other options including Skype & You Tube. Besides, the mainline stations broadcast a fair amount of rubbish & You Tube e.g. has a fair selection of videos of content that are is suitable for Christians, something the basic terrestrial TV channels are starved of but that's understandable seeing the great overwhelming number of viewers are not of that persuasion. Must keep fishing for the little piece that will complete this jig saw. As the screen shot with yellow text seems to imply, the stumbling block centers on the last tick box next to the Viera connection.. :scratch: :scratch:
Thanx Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

viking33 wrote:Been reading this thread with interest but just what IS a "home plug?"
HomePlug on Wikipedia
https://www.homeplug.org/
StuartR

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

StuartR wrote:
viking33 wrote:Been reading this thread with interest but just what IS a "home plug?"
HomePlug on Wikipedia
https://www.homeplug.org/
I see... thanks, Stuart.
Guess I never heard of PLC being referred to as Home Plug?
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

jonwallace
5StarLounger
Location: "What a mighty long bridge to such a mighty little old town"

Post by jonwallace »

As regarding the availability of the channels, an article on the Register says:
Revelation TV is already up and running, along with The Christian Faith Network, while The Christian Channel will be joining them soon: all three are on Freeview HD Channel 113. Channels around 100 supply their fragmented audience over woefully-inefficient IP streams instead of normal broadcast,
This implies to me that in areas of heavy contention (a lot of folk trying to access the same stuff over an overloaded ISP connection) it might be difficult to connect.

The article is available here (Warning: if you've never been to the Register, then be aware that the Register is noted for its irreverence and may(and usually does) offend somebody. In its defence, it's equal opportunity offence and should mostly be taken with a pinch of salt...)
John

“Always trust a microbiologist because they have the best chance of predicting when the world will end”
― Teddie O. Rahube

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Jon.........I can assure you I'm too long in the teeth to be offended with what people write or say, besides I have half expected the total lack of respect [which is what a lot of this is] being a ware that it was predicted 2000 years ago in THE book of books. Out of respect for lounge viewers who have different beliefs to me I will not copy the numerous symptoms I allude to but simply point the reader to where they are found so they can be compared to what prevails abroad today. The first list is found in the book of Romans Chp 1:26-32 & the 2nd is 2Timothy 3:1-7. Don't intend to preach, I know that's a NO NO on the lounge which I respect, just qualifying my response to what the content might be on that link. Leif, sorry the TV set is down stairs and the computer is in the box room upstairs, hence the need for the plugs. One down side that has come to light is that our TV model does not appear in the list in the link Leif gave??????? I have written to Panasonic help line so will see what they come up with. Cheers Dave.

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Dave,

I think it would be good to try temporarily moving the TV to the room where your router is, just to prove that your problem is nothing to do with the home plugs
StuartR

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

That's obviously one -near last- resort Stuart, I have sent an email to the Support center of Panasonic and have a terrible feeling that -despite the TV being just a few months old- it may not be capable of doing what I expect, in which case I may have two unused Home plugs to sell to someone who at least can use them for connecting a laptop to the net in any other room in their house. Hoping against hope that there is yet some way to achieve this goal or this might be the end of the thread. But will post the outcome. Thanks all for your contributions. Dave.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Dave Davison wrote:....despite the TV being just a few months old- it may not be capable of doing what I expect...
The age has nothing to do with it, it is the specification!
Leif

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Just tried an experiment with my Panasonic TX-L32E30B, which I bought just after Christmas 2011.
1) Turned on the TV
2) Connected one end of my 20m Ethernet cable to my router
3) Connected the other end to the RJ45 socket on the back of the TV
4) Browsed the TV's EPG until I found the Christian Channel Dave's interested in
5) Selected it and there it was.
6) Switched to another channel (God TV) and it too was available.
7) Switched to BBC1 and unplugged the Ethernet cable from the back of the TV
8) Selected the Christian Channel again but this time I only got the blue info screen that Dave has posted further up this thread.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

......latest info on this fiasco; my son's wife brought her laptop over this afternoon and after plugging in the ethernet cable from the home plug next to the tv was able to access the net without a problem SO -as I suspected- there is still some setting that needs to be selected on the tv to enable programs from the net to be watched via the TV. Maybe I will get a response from the Panasonic customer service center which I contacted last week. Still :scratch: :scratch: Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave Davison wrote:..there is still some setting that needs to be selected on the tv to enable programs from the net to be watched via the TV.
1) Double check all the network setup options that can be set to Auto, have been set to Auto

2) I asked earlier but you didn't answer, what is the model number of your Panasonic TV?

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi Ken. Just done a rerun through the settings and all the auto options I can see are selected, sorry for failing to state the model number of the TV it is: - TX-L37E5B. I assume because it has an Ethernet cable socket in the back of the set it must be designed to receive a cable from a modem. I see from the link given, the Amazon seller's prices are amazingly low, a 30m length for just a few pounds sterling. Can't for the life of me trace any setting option that will make replace the red cross in the last box with a tick. Still :scratch:ing my head. Thanks Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave,

As I said earlier, the channels you mention (Christian/God) are nothing to do with Viera Connect so I really don't think you need a tick in that last connection test box in order to see those channels. Leave that for now.

Meanwhile, a Google search on your model number suggests your TV is more recent model than mine, so its spec should be up to receiving these data channels.

When was the last time you did a full retune of your TV? If you can't remember, do it now. That will ensure your TV is displaying the correct channel numbers for all stations (these particular data channels have numbers in the 200 range).

Once you've done that try again, i.e. connect your TV to the home plug with a cable, connect the other home plug to the router with a cable, give it a couple of minutes (to allow your router to find the TV and give it an IP address) and then select one of these channels.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Ken, I'll certainly try anything and will do a retune though I have a feeling it is up to date as just a couple of weeks ago a pop up message appeared on screen saying new channels had been detected so I clicked the update button and it rearranged the station numbers accordingly. Still waiting for Panasonic consumer service to get back to me, no surprise as this is the norm for most follow up services these days- if only they were as responsive as the Lounge members! By the way, something that JUST MAY be of some relevance is the model number of out tv does not appear on the list that Christian TV specifies as being compatible despite you saying it is later than yours. Cheers Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave Davison wrote:...something that JUST MAY be of some relevance is the model number of out tv does not appear on the list that Christian TV specifies as being compatible...
Given the rate TV companies churn out new models I'd be surprised if that list is fully up to date so I wouldn't be too concerned. However, that may yet be the fundamental problem, since my TV is listed and I could see the channels. :scratch: Odd though that a newer TV would not be compatible.

I'm out of ideas, except to resuggest:
a) you try Stuart's idea and move the TV into the same room as the router and connect the two by a single Ethernet cable (or leave the TV where it is and buy a very long cable!)

b) triple check all the network setup options are on Auto

c) try again to update the TV's software

d) retune the TV from scratch, NOT just do a channel update

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

THANKS again Ken, the idea of carrying the rather large tv up stairs is somewhat daunting especially since the plugs seem to be doing their job in light of what we proved by the laptop being able to access the web, if I make any progress up this mountain I'll certainly post back and once again a big thanks for all the suggestions. Cheers Dave.