Special Characters

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Special Characters

Post by AlanMiller »

This is an updated post of this old 2001 post.

I've been exchanging "text only" e-mails of technical context recently, and had others ask how I manage to incorporate Unicode symbols. There are several way, but the best I've found is this:
This won't be everyone's cup of tea, but I just love these little gizzmos:
Special Characters Menu delivers on-demand special characters insertion within any application.
It runs invisibly in the background, activated by Win+C global hotkey. You can build your own list of "special" characters like µ ‰ ® √ as well as text blocks. Just click your selection from the popup and it's inserted. Also good for bold, italic etc. tag pairs here on the Lounge. Very small, lightweight and non-intrusive.

Download at http://e-cat.nm.ru/SpecChar.zip - only 27KB and :free: of course!
It works as advertised, but is not that intuitive and not documented.
ADVANCE WARNING! - It will "steal your Winkey + C shortcut key - this feature is unfortunately not configurable.

You build up your own character set from the simple .ini file provided. Mine looks like this:
chars.png
The popup looks like this:
popup.png
There are "special" characters used in the .ini file:

{} braces enclose a block of characters for insertion - {≈ 0} will insert "≈ 0" at the cursor position in the text.
^ caret determines where the caret will be stationed after insertion - {β = ^ m ºC⁻¹} will leave the cursor to the right of the equals sign, ready to type in a number.
| pipe gives a separator bar between character groups or sets displayed in the popup, as you wish.
A carriage return in the .ini file starts a new column in the popup display. My display has 18 columns.

You will need to save the chars.ini file as Unicode encoded, using "Save As..." in Notepad, if you want it to retain the unicode characters.

How to get the characters "in" in the first place? You can use Windows Charmap application, or hunt on Wikipedia etc. for what can be copy/pasted. Or you can "borrow" mine. :grin:

Alan
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Special Characters

Post by BobH »

Thank you, Alan.

That will come in handy. I've been trying to figure out how to invoke the Windows Character Map. It would be great to be able to right click with a control key and have it pop up regardless of the application you are in. Looks like this will do the job nicely.

WHOOPS! Can't read anything on their page.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

BobH wrote:... I've been trying to figure out how to invoke the Windows Character Map ...
Try Clavier+. Easy to use (mebbe easier than Alan's).

I have Ctrl-Win-Alt M set for Character Map.
Ctrl-Alt-Win E for Event Viewer
Ctrl-Alt-Win D for Disk Checker
Ctrl-Alt-Win C for Windows Calculator

And my list goes on, 40+ of 'em...

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

BobH wrote:WHOOPS! Can't read anything on their page.
Should have said - the homepage seems to be no longer available. :sad: But there was only sparse documentation there anyway, hence my somewhat lengthy coverage of the app.

As far as Charmap goes, it becomes just another app you have to fire up, switch back & forth to, search-select-copy-paste etc. SpecChar has the advantage of always being there globally with a Win+C keystroke, a tiny memory-resident footprint, and a single click to insert your own "favorites". You won't need a hotkey manager to use with it, providing you don't mind Win+C being "stolen" from starting Control Panel.

Alan

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I downloaded Clavier and will install and experiment with it later.

Thanks for the tip.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Interesting avatar. Did you create it?

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Bigaldoc wrote:Interesting avatar. Did you create it?
Found the image and resized it to fit with FSViewer
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

AlanMiller wrote:... Download at http://e-cat.nm.ru/SpecChar.zip - only 27KB and :free: of course! ...
Hi Alan. The link took me to a page with photos of beauitiful women.
I am not complaining!
A Google search for specchar.zip took me to a set of hits, the first of which took me to a page all-in-russian: http:// svspb.net/html/prspecchar.php
I see a link with what I suspect is a Russian "D" (for download?) to http:// svspb.net/html/svkbd.php
Which takes me to a keyboard, so I suspect that that is an online version of the Win-C application you suggested.
If I was really good at Special Characters ( this is where I came in!) ....
Please can you recommend a safe site? :thankyou:
By definition, educating the client is the consultant’s first objective

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
AlanMiller wrote:... Download at http://e-cat.nm.ru/SpecChar.zip - only 27KB and :free: of course! ...
Hi Alan. The link took me to a page with photos of beauitiful women.
I am not complaining!
A Google search for specchar.zip took me to a set of hits, the first of which took me to a page all-in-russian: http:// svspb.net/html/prspecchar.php
I see a link with what I suspect is a Russian "D" (for download?) to http:// svspb.net/html/svkbd.php
Which takes me to a keyboard, so I suspect that that is an online version of the Win-C application you suggested.
If I was really good at Special Characters ( this is where I came in!) ....
So, not being able to resist your first line comment in your post, I clicked on it and went to a site with no beautiful women but it did look like Russian language. Didn't go any further. :flee:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

ChrisGreaves wrote:
Hi Alan.
This thing is becoming like hens' teeth! I found a link on this (Russian) page. The zip comes up as clean for me. I can also post you my .ini file, since the sample included is minimal. Also, there are no useful instructions so your best bet is to follow what I wrote about using it. If no luck, I can post the zip to you. (Not sure if I can upload it to the board as a zip ???)

Alan

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

I used this link and a 15K (not 27K) zip file came down.
I will essay tonight AFTER my system image backup. :cheers:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I used this link and a 15K (not 27K) zip file came down.
I will essay tonight AFTER my system image backup. :cheers:
Looks like the goods. Also has the Delphi source code ... for anyone who remembers Delphi! :grin:

Alan

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Speaking of English, what was it you said you were going to do to that file after your image backup, Mr. Greaves?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:Speaking of English, what was it you said you were going to do to that file after your image backup, Mr. Greaves?
Something like essay or assay?
Probably Chris will essay it, just because it's Chris! :groan: :laugh:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

viking33 wrote:Probably Chris will essay it, just because it's Chris! :groan: :laugh:
Well, it is from the french essayer, and I am partly French (back around 1770 or thereabouts ,,,,)