Screen Capture/Graphic editor What Program is this?

mbarron
2StarLounger

Screen Capture/Graphic editor What Program is this?

Post by mbarron »

I've seen HansV and a couple others post screenshots with portions highlighted, like the image in this post

I remember having a similar program but cannot remember program is was.

Forgot I could link images :bash:

mbarron
2StarLounger

Re: Screen Capture/Graphic editor What Program is this?

Post by mbarron »

Of course, 5 minutes after I ask, I find the program I was remembering. It was Screenshot Captor from Donation Coders. I don't think it's the same on HansV used as this one has square corners as opposed to the rounded corners in Hans' post. Then again, I may not be able to find that setting.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I use FastStone Capture. I have the current release which is shareware, but you can still find the last freeware version if you search for it.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

I use the Snipping Tool that come with Windows 7, and works just fine.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

DaveA wrote:I use the Snipping Tool that come with Windows 7, and works just fine.
I just tried that and it is very neat and tidy! I also use FastStone Capture but this could be useful for small captures. :thankyou:
Capture.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

mbarron
2StarLounger

Post by mbarron »

Yes, but can you draw the pretty little boxes with the Snipping tool. This wouldn't be an option for me since I don't have W7.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The snipping tool has a freehand pen and a marker pen, but no tools for lines, arrows, rectangles, ovals and text annotation. Most third-party screen capture tools do have some or all of those.
Best wishes,
Hans

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

True, but I just use the yellow highlighter to mark what I need. And no I do not have a steady hand.

mbarron
2StarLounger

Post by mbarron »

HansV wrote:I use FastStone Capture. I have the current release which is shareware, but you can still find the last freeware version if you search for it.
I grabbed the last freeware version from Oldversion.com

Thanks

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

mbarron wrote:...I grabbed the last freeware version from Oldversion.com...
I used the last freeware version of faststone capture for a long time, but I was using it so often and the price was so low that I paid for the shareware version.
StuartR

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

FastStone Capture is an excellent utility, like the others from the same developer. Support is also good: I once had a minor problem, e-mailed the developer and got a succinct helpful reply in an hour or two.
The paid version has some nice extras, such as a screen recorder tool that produces remarkably sharp videos with a small file size.
Best wishes,
Hans

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

I have always used Snag It and been happy with it. I like the ability to capture a scrolling web page.
Don

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

dasadler wrote:I have always used Snag It and been happy with it. I like the ability to capture a scrolling web page.
Little sir echo here. ( :laugh: ) The FastStone Capture program also handles scrolling windows and it's "only" $20 USD, quite a bit less than SnagIt.

dasadler
5StarLounger

Post by dasadler »

I agree though I have been with Snag It for years - long before I heard of the alternatives. Doubt they would give a refund 'cause I found something just as good and less expensive.
Don

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

HansV wrote:The snipping tool has a freehand pen and a marker pen, but no tools for lines, arrows, rectangles, ovals and text annotation. Most third-party screen capture tools do have some or all of those.
Is there an option in any of these graphic capturing programs that allows you to just copy/paste to the screen rather than saving it and attaching it as an image? I have the free version of Faststone Capture and also have tried the snipping tool included with Windows but each time I have to save it and attach it and I wondered if there was a better way? I've checked quoting some of these responses to see how the graphics were presented, but either they link to another http or it's an image.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Screen capture programs let you place the image on the Windows clipboard, so that you can paste it into another application, for example into a Paint picture or a Word document. You don't have to save the image to disk for that.

But you can't paste an image into a web page. Pictures on a web page always refer to a file on a web server. Forum software offers two options for this:

- If the picture is already available on the web, you can use the [img]...[/img] tags and specify the URL of the image file.
- Otherwise, you have to upload the file from your hard disk to the board's web server and add it to the post as an attachment.
Best wishes,
Hans

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Thanks. I understand about copying to clipboard and also about uploading to here for use. I wasn't sure what the [img] tags were for as I tried to use them but they didn't work, so thanks!!

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

You can use the "image" tag if you know the web address of a graphic including those from your own web site.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

DaveA wrote:You can use the "image" tag if you know the web address of a graphic including those from your own web site.
Does it put the entire web page up or does it isolate the image using the image tag?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The [img]...[/img] tags display only the image, not the entire web page. You have to use the URL of the picture itself. You can find this for example by right-clicking it and selecting Properties from the popup menu.
Best wishes,
Hans