Freeware Image Editor Allowing File Size Limit Control

BobH
UraniumLounger

Freeware Image Editor Allowing File Size Limit Control

Post by BobH »

Does anyone know of freeware image editing software that allows one to set a maximum file size? I use Ashampoo Photo Commander to crop and resize fiiles. When I only need to change the pixel size, I usually choose Pixresizer. Neither of these programs allow me to set the maximum resulting file size, or, at least, I don't know how to do so if they do. I would like to be able do whatever cropping or resizing I want then tell the software to limit the file size. For example, sometimes I crop an image to make an avatar following the 90 pixel dimension rule but the software produces a file that exceeds the 10kb file size limit often placed on avatar files.

If anyone can point me to software that does this - or tell me how to do it in Photo Commander or Pixresizer, I would be very grateful.

TIA
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

BobH
UraniumLounger

Re: Freeware Image Editor Allowing File Size Limit Control

Post by BobH »

Sorry to waste the bandwidth - and not observe proper netiquette by answering my own post - but I finally figured out how to reduce the size of the image using Pixresizer. The dpi setting can be found by double clicking in a blank area of the Save Picture panel. This brings up a slider that allows one to reduce the dpi which produces a smaller file without losing too much definition. In an image as small as an avatar, dip saturation can be changed without distorting the image quality too much.

Hope this helps someone else.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

Bob,

It is VERY GOOD netiquette to let people know that you have solved your problem. Thank you for posting.
StuartR

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

See Paint.NET - Free Software for Digital Photo Editing. It is free and very good. Not sure that you can set a maximum file size but you can resize any image to a size you set. Check out its forum (see link on the home page) for addins and tutorials.

Joe
Joe