copying 35mm slides

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

copying 35mm slides

Post by Skitterbug »

I have several slide trays stuffed with old slides that I'd like to convert to digital images. I had a scanner with an attachment that was supposed to do this as well as scan negatives but I was never satisfied with the results. Before getting much accomplished, the scanner gave up on me.... :sigh: Total waste of :money: IMHO
So now I'd like to get the job done before I lose my slides and negatives. Would anyone like to recommend some technology that would really work? Fairly simple to use? And doesn't cost a fortune? I would appreciate any info offered! :yep:
:thankyou:
Skitterbug :coffeetime:
A cup of coffee shared with a friend is happiness tasted and time well spent.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Re: copying 35mm slides

Post by DaveA »

I know that there are several out there and they do do a good job. I have a older Epson 1640 connected to my XP machine and with the slide and negative adapter, it works fine. The biggest issue, is getting enough but not to much back lighting.
One needs to do a very high resolution scan in order to get a good sized image.
I have seen several back lighted add on boxes that one just sets on the scanner glass and then scans the slide.

I think Jerry (Jezza) even had posted at one time a kitchen project in making such a box.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Skitterbug wrote:I have several slide trays stuffed with old slides that I'd like to convert to digital images. I had a scanner with an attachment that was supposed to do this as well as scan negatives but I was never satisfied with the results. Before getting much accomplished, the scanner gave up on me.... :sigh: Total waste of :money: IMHO
So now I'd like to get the job done before I lose my slides and negatives. Would anyone like to recommend some technology that would really work? Fairly simple to use? And doesn't cost a fortune? I would appreciate any info offered! :yep:
I have been using a HP Scanjet 4890 that scans 16 slides at a time, then moves the images over to it's Photosmart prog where it does a really good job of cleanup and enhancement of the slides. You can also create a DVD slideshow to playback on a regular TV. I'm very happy with this scanner. There may also be a newer version of the 4890 out now.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Skitterbug wrote:I have several slide trays stuffed with old slides that I'd like to convert to digital images.
A couple of years ago, I bought a Canon CanoScan 8400F (after seeing the opinion of "one of our Lounge Bob fellas!) and proceeded to scan a whole bunce of slides that Billie and I had accumulated over the years. It worked well.

I don't know if that model is still available, but the Canon link above says $130. I think maybe Viking's model sounds like it would do a lot more slides at once, so you might want to give both "brands" a look. Good luck...

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Thanks for the replies! I guess I should have said that I did acquire a printer/scanner/photo copier since my old scanner had died on me but I didn't think about trying to get one with slide scanning features since my first attempt was so dismal.

I have been looking at units that concentrated solely on slides and negatives. I've been slow to act on any purchase however since I don't know whether these things would work well. So I guess the jury is still out on what I should do. I don't suppose I could lay the slides on the scanner bed that I have and expect the negative to turn out okay?

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Check with your local Computer clubs or even the local Family Research groups, as they may have a member or two that have such scanners and my be able to help you out.

I know here in my area there are many of these type that are willing to help those that do not have the equipment. I have helped many. :evilgrin:

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

DaveA wrote:Check with your local Computer clubs or even the local Family Research groups, as they may have a member or two that have such scanners and my be able to help you out.

I know here in my area there are many of these type that are willing to help those that do not have the equipment. I have helped many. :evilgrin:
I'm usually the one who helps people out.... I don't know about any local Computer clubs. Maybe I'll have to renew my membership in the Senior Center :groan: and inquire there about anyone who has had luck scanning 35mm slides. Too bad I don't live in WA in your neighborhood. :grin:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Skitterbug wrote: I don't suppose I could lay the slides on the scanner bed that I have and expect the negative to turn out okay?
Afraid not, Skitter. ( transparencies would be too......transparent. :sad:
BOB

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Go here http://www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~websi ... /ohio.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; and find a group or two NEAR you and see if they can help.

BobL
StarLounger

Post by BobL »

Hi Skitterbug,
Other Bob here to re-enforce the post Big Al made on scanners. The only drawback I found to using the Canoscan unit (besides the cost) was that it took me over 3 months to scan/catalog/produce 4 DVD's of slideshow to do approximately 1800 slides. If all you have are two or three trays, maybe I could offer to scan them for you and mail back the slides?
I know these slides are precious, and I still have my in-laws 1800+ that I turned into DVD slideshows.
Still, the offer is out there, let me know and I'll pm the specifics.
Bob (The Other One from Maine).
BobL
The Other Bob from Maine

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Hi Skitterbug,

From my experience there is only one rule you should consider when scanning slides. While this rule can be stated in various forms, it all comes down to the same thing in the end, 'quality costs':

1) The higher the res of the original scan the better the final digital copy
2) A dedicated film scanner will give better results than a flat bed + adapter
3) The better the scanner optics, light source, the more sophisticated the software, etc. the better the final copy
4) A quick scan can't match one also applies dust/scratch correction software
5) Post processing will help the final image

I have a large collection of 35mm slides (at least 7500 of them, going back to the early 70s) but to date I've only scanned a handful of them, most recently this one. This is because I don't own suitable hardware but I am allowed to use a dedicated film scanner we have here at work during my lunch hour.

The scanner here is a Nikon Coolscan V, not the latest model available but it works well. Mind you, I wouldn't describe it as rapid. It takes about 45 secs to preview and scan a single slide, maybe nearer a minute if I turn on the scratch/dust correction option. A batch slide holder-feeder is available but I've never tried that so I don't know how long it would take to churn through a whole film (36 slides) unattended. It can also scan 35mm negatives, either 'as is' or converted to a positive image. You can choose the output file format so you could save straight to .jpg but that's chucking away detail before you start so I favour .tif files. Down side is that one slide = a 65Mb file.

There are commercial services out there that will do the job for you. I've never used any of them but it's a safe bet that you'll get what you pay for and that a small 'personal touch' outfit will be preferable to a faceless corporation.

Ken
PS you can't just put slides on a flat bed, being 'transparent' they don't reflect the light so they just come out black

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

stuck wrote:... it all comes down to the same thing in the end, 'quality costs'
Boy, you're sure right about that Ken. I don't know what that Nikon at your office cost, but I'd wager it was a LOT more than a flatbed with slide/film adapter. It's tough to justify "big bucks" for such a purpose for what might be a one-off job, such as mine was when I bought the Canon. I've put the adapter somewhere and would have to hunt for it if I had to do more slides. :innocent:

But, if you're not a "picture purist" (which describes me) you could very well be willing to accept something like this pix from a Kodak Instamatic slide no less. It was taken at a rose garden in Paris back in the mid-60s when Billie and I were first married.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Hey Jude
5StarLounger

Post by Hey Jude »

Skitterbug wrote:I have several slide trays stuffed with old slides that I'd like to convert to digital images. I had a scanner with an attachment that was supposed to do this as well as scan negatives but I was never satisfied with the results. Before getting much accomplished, the scanner gave up on me.... :sigh: Total waste of :money: IMHO
There is another option which I have found from The National Geographic store which has worked wonderfully called VuPoint Film Scanner. It is item # 1073545 http://www.ShopNG.org
I paid $99 for it but it is on sale for $59 and if you only have a couple of trays, it would be good if it fit the specs of your PC.
http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/ngs/ ... lm-scanner

We wandered around the backwoods of Paraguay and Brazil and have about 1000 slides that we used for presentations upon our return to the 'States. This has worked wonderfully and may be another option to consider.
♫...Take a sad song and make it better . . .♫ Image

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

There is another option which I have found
Yes, Skitter pointed to something similar at the top of this thread. I'm not sure but I have a feeling that this type of gizmo works not by scanning the slide but by taking a digital photo of it (must Google that sometime and find out for sure). That's why it's fairly cheap and quick.

Al, you're right, the Nikon kit was not cheap! :grin: Doesn't stop me dreaming that one day I might buy something like that for myself :laugh:

Ken

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

The Nikon Coolscan V are going for aboyt $2000 USD and there are Windows 7 drivers and software, including 64 bit.

http://www.google.com/products?hl=en&so ... CB8QrQQwAA" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/For ... ae9ea166f0" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Skitterbug wrote:I have been looking at ...
Back before I bought the Canon 8400F, I tried one of these: PrimeFilm which turned out to be a bummer - one slide at a time and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't. I returned it for a refund and bought the Canon. (it may have been an earlier model than this one, but this is the company)

For some reason (I don't know why) I like the looks of the one Hey Jude mentioned. But, for me it comes down to the fact that this may be the only time you need it and is it worth spending $100 or so for a one-time project?

Boy, I like Viking's HP at 16 slides at a pop! That sure is a nice one, although I do think I saw where it's obsolete. Scanners don't seem to have a long "sales life" and I don't know why. Are they learning more every day about the technology? The list of scanners on the Canon site is a mile long!

PS It's a good thing you started this thread. I've looked all over this house and can't find my Canon 35mm slide accessory. Gonna have to buy another, just in case (duh...)

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

But, for me it comes down to the fact that this may be the only time you need it and is it worth spending $100 or so for a one-time project?
It would NOT be a one time project, you would have it so you could help the next poor soul that comes in here looking for help in scanning their slides :evilgrin:

BobL
StarLounger

Post by BobL »

Bigaldoc wrote:
Skitterbug wrote:I have been looking at ...
PS It's a good thing you started this thread. I've looked all over this house and can't find my Canon 35mm slide accessory. Gonna have to buy another, just in case (duh...)
With your luch Al, they may not be making the slide accessory any more <sigh>. Still, there must be some else that has the same equipment :duck:
BobL (The Other Bob from Maine).
BobL
The Other Bob from Maine

Skitterbug
BronzeLounger

Post by Skitterbug »

Where to start……Thanks for all the feed back! :yep:
First off, I checked my county from the link DaveA provided. I ended up on a 404 Not Found page. So I did a "search" for my county and a few of the surrounding counties. Nothing. I can only assume we are all so smart we don't need any computer clubs…..<ha ha - sarcasm here> So I reckon I can still become a member of the Seniors which I am protesting, not because of the cost but because of the age requirement - I exceed it and that's my problem! <huge sigh here>

I'd send my slides out <thanks for the offer BobL> but I really don't trust the mail! Honestly. About the time it is a "one of a kind" item, that's the one that gets damaged or lost. If I get really desperate, I'll go this route but for now, I'll still try to do a "home based" job.

Ken: I would really like the scanner you use! To have access to it, would be soooo neat! But I cannot afford to purchase one for my own use. So enjoy your access to it. And yes, having one in the home would be terrific! Dreams, I enjoy them lots!

Al: I am beginning to think I ought to consider getting a second scanner with the ability to scan slides and negatives. I was checking the gizmo that Hey Jude used as well as the one I pointed to and various others that are based on this same technique, but I'm not certain they will do the job I am hoping to accomplish. I don't need perfection even though that is what I crave, but I do need high quality. I don't think items like the VuPoint Film Scanner will give me as many options as a scanner might. The catch will be to find the scanner that offers the best performance. Plus I'd like it to work with my MAC if I can find one that will. I reckon, I could did out my PC for the job…….if I have to. :grin:

So now I suppose I am going to have to make that decision about what I really want. It is odd how I can spend :money: on a grandson but I have a tough time spending it on me. I have to agree with DaveA, if I do get something that costs a bit, I won't keep the technology for myself. I'll be glad to help anyone else who happens to be in the same boat I am in!

Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate all the thought provoking suggestions! :yep:

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Skitterbug wrote:Where to start……

So now I suppose I am going to have to make that decision about what I really want. It is odd how I can spend :money: on a grandson but I have a tough time spending it on me. I have to agree with DaveA, if I do get something that costs a bit, I won't keep the technology for myself. I'll be glad to help anyone else who happens to be in the same boat I am in!

Thanks for all the replies! I appreciate all the thought provoking suggestions! :yep:
Did you check HP?
http://www.shopping.hp.com/webapp/shopp ... torefronts" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

They have a 4 slide scanner for $99. bucks. Free shipping and for both real computers and those other machines, think they are called Macs? :grin:
Or, $199. for the 16 slide version.

With a little shopping around you probably can get them for less.
BOB