Red Eye Removal

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Red Eye Removal

Post by Bigaldoc »

I don't know how many of you dabble in red eye removal from photos. I do it so infrequently that I've never become very good at it. I just manage well enough to satisfy the average looker.

I have four photo editing programs on my system: Paint Shop Pro X2, Serif PhotoPlus X4, Paint.Net and Gimp. I've never, in spite of massive help from Ian Wilson, been able to learn to deal with Gimp, so I just about write it off as a losing cause.

Because of many years of use, I still rely on PSP but have been trying to learn the Serif product a bit at a time. Today I was trying to remove the red eye from a friend's photo and couldn't get anywhere with Paint.Net (latest version). With Serif the resulting eyes just don't look right to me and PSP provided the most reasonable solution. Here's an example with PSP on the left and Serif on the right. I've reduced the photo so it won't be of any editing value for Loungers who might try to advise with tips or tricks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Red Eye Removal

Post by HansV »

I've found the red-eye removal tool in FastStone Image Editor Viewer easy to use, even though I use it infrequently.
x402.png
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Boy, ya got me again, Hans! I never heard of their Image Editor and can only find the four apps I already have on their web. Can you steer me to it, please? Thanks!

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Sorry, I meant FastStone Image Viewer, not Editor. :blush:
Best wishes,
Hans

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thank you. It's also embarrassing that I hardly ever look at the left and right side menus in that program.

I did a little experiment with it just now on a photo and it's not nearly as crisp as PSP but workable. It's funny that some of the graphic programs REALLY mean RED when they say red eye. I have a picture of my sister's doggie who just passed away yesterday that I wanted to fix for her and PSP did it successfully but the others don't seem to deal with it because the eyes of an "animal" don't show up as RED.

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Have a look at
http://graphicssoft.about.com/b/2008/01 ... d-dogs.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://gimps.de/en/tutorials/gimp/pictu ... /index.htm" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Thanks for those links Dave!

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

The red eye feature in Picasa is quite quick and easy.

With animal pictures, I generally do it by hand using GIMP. My method would be to make a selection of the pupil of the eye (not quite as straightforward as a human eye as the pupil may not be circular). I then desaturate the selection, then adjust the brightness and contrast until I am happy with the result. Repeat with the other eye selected. I often use the same method for people too, though an automated red-eye feature can do it.

Ian
Cat eyes before and after.JPG