Photo rotation in Nero Vision

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Photo rotation in Nero Vision

Post by AlanMiller »

I've come across a weird one, trying to make a slideshow of all my holiday snaps. I rotated them all the right way around on my digital camera, then downloaded the lot off the SD cards using Faststone image viewer. So far so good - they all appear correctly rotated. When I open that download folder in Nero Vision though, none of the rotated ones are correct anymore. It's the same in Windows Explorer view. They are all JPG so I can only imagine it's something in the file headers that is being read/acted upon by Faststone, but ignored by Nero/Explorer.

I'm hoping there might be a batch-type solution to rectify this... once I discover the cause.

Alan

HansV
Administrator

Re: Photo rotation in Nero Vision

Post by HansV »

Faststone has another free tool: FastStone Photo Resizer:
FastStone Photo Resizer is an image converter and renaming tool that intends to enable users to convert, rename, resize, crop, rotate, change color depth, add text and watermarks to images in a quick and easy batch mode. Drag and Drop mouse operation is well supported.
(Italics mine)
Best wishes,
Hans

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

My usual technique brought forth an answer - search for an hour to no avail, post the question somewhere, search one more time for the heck of it and find the answer immediately. It appears that it is necessary to post the question before the search engine will return the required result. :grin:

I was correct in assuming some sort of header tag. There is apparently a flag which may (or may not) be used by a viewer, indicating how to display the image (including rotation). See XnView • View topic - EXIF lossless rotation. I also managed to find a freebie to do the permanent lossless rotations of the images Batch JPEG Rotator, although I had to do them individually. I'd imagine there's a tool out there somewhere which checks the rotation flags in a batch of images, then permanently rotates the appropriate ones. Anyhow, mystery/problem solved.

Alan

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

AlanMiller wrote:My usual technique brought forth an answer - search for an hour to no avail, post the question somewhere, search one more time for the heck of it and find the answer immediately. It appears that it is necessary to post the question before the search engine will return the required result. :grin:
See Han's explanation of how the The Lounge does this sort of thing :laugh:

Ken