File Extraction.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

File Extraction.

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Folks,
I have a TV music video recorded by a Panasonic DVD/HDD Player/Recorder. The files were dubbed to a RAM disc, so I didn't lose them.
I inserted a DVD-RW into my Panny, it had to be formatted before copying to it. It gets finalised automatically on completion.
The Panny can play the video ok.
When I put the DVD-RW in my computer it is shown as being empty.
I want to get the files as VIDEO_TS & AUDIO_TS format as I have a player that can store & play them. Can you help.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: File Extraction.

Post by stuck »

What are you trying to open the DVD files with on your PC? Windows Media Player? If so, then my guess is that WMP is missing the relevant codec and the fix is to install a codec pack. K-lite has had many recommendations from Lounge users (myself included):
https://www.codecguide.com/download_kl.htm

Alternatively, use a different media player. VLC player (http://www.videolan.org/ again is highly recommendeed by Lounge users.

Ken

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi stuck,
I only have 2 players on my pc, Winamp which I only use for music only, as video upsets its size settings & Media Player Home Cinema, it has never failed to play anything so far. Remember the dvd shows as empty on my pc.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

A Google search turns up the third post on this page:
which says:
...The only time I've had problems reading a DVD of any sort with a PC it's turned out to be one of two things: either the disc was junk or incompatible, or the disc format was unsupported on the PC. There is a disc format supported by *some* DVD players and not by all PCs, and many come across it with DVDs from a DVD Recorder -- I *think* it might be UDF?

My Panasonic DVDR for example burns this type of disc when the blank is a DVD - RW, and it's unreadable on many PCs, including my primary machine until or unless I install Drag to Disc. While I've never tried creating or recording a DVD -VR using EMC9, I imagine it's possible that it uses the same format. If that's how the DVD was made, or using Drag to Disc, then maybe that's the problem and the solution would be to install support for that type of disc...
Ken

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi stuck, thanks for the input. I did the original on a dvd-rw, I will try it next time on a dvd-r. I dont have any dvd+rw or dvd+r discs.
I have most of my user manuals in .pdf format, this is the only one I couldn't get. So it takes longer to learn/find what I'm looking for, it's also one of my oldest gadgets for av.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi stuck, never tried a dvd-r, I put the dvd-rw back into my panny to see if it had been finalized, it wasn't so I did it and now have it the files where I want them.
Thanks.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.