Scalable graphics to target printer

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Scalable graphics to target printer

Post by AlanMiller »

I need an updated view on which scalable (vector) graphics format(s) is best when targeting a high resolution printer.

EPS was the gold standard some time ago, being preferable to WMF. The latter does not support curves so gets the jaggies when scaled down small. EMF does support curves - is it therefore just as good as EPS to send to a printer's RIP?

Then there's SVG, which I know very little of and doesn't seem to be well supported by applications like MS Office. Seems to target primarily (screen) web pages and have no idea if it has limitations with hi-res printer RIP.

Any thoughts and especially experience appreciated.

Alan

HansV
Administrator

Re: Scalable graphics to target printer

Post by HansV »

See for example http://graphicdesign.stackexchange.com/ ... at-provide" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;. Apparently PDF has to a large extent superseded EPS. But MS Office doesn't handle PDF as well as EPS...
Best wishes,
Hans

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

Thanks Hans. I've seen similar articles but am still looking for the "preferred" format for hi-res printers. Will keep searching ....

Alan

AlanMiller
BronzeLounger

Post by AlanMiller »

HansV wrote:... But MS Office doesn't handle PDF as well as EPS...
Seems MS Word (2007) bombs out with EPS as well. :sad: I may have to just send the EPS files separate from the documents.

Alan