Tags appearing within pages

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Tags appearing within pages

Post by agibsonsw »

Hello.
I notice listed tags appearing within web pages more and more. What are these? I though tags were added within the HTML code to assist search engines?

Thanks, Andy.
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: Tags appearing within pages

Post by Bigaldoc »

Got an example for us, Andy?

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Hi. I'll note it the next time I come across. If I try and find a page now, I know I won't! Andy. But I do see them quite frequently now..
"I'm here to save your life. But if I'm going to do that, I'll need total uninanonynymity." Me Myself & Irene.

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

When you say listed tags, do you mean you are seeing:

<ol>, <li> and/or <ul> tags or are you seeing metadata references.

What browser are you using?
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

mbarron
2StarLounger

Post by mbarron »

Maybe something like this (in the gray bar)????:
http://mashable.com/2010/02/16/google-w ... -donation/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

mbarron
2StarLounger

Post by mbarron »

Or something like this perhaps: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tags/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; where the tags get larger, the more popular the term.

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

That's it. Of course, since posting the question I haven't come across any.
Some sites also give you the option to add tags. What are they and how are they implemented in HTML/ Javascript? Thanks, Andy.

Jezza
5StarLounger

Post by Jezza »

That was what I was eluding too in my original answer about meta tagging. They are very prevelant in Blogs but used in a lesser way. Simple tagging using a mixture of css (to name the element and therefore give it an elementId) and javascript to add it to the html via string manipulation in the innerHTML.

In the example mbarron has provided it uses similarly tagging methodology but adjusts the size of the text by manipulating the text size by javasctipt and exposing the styling.
Jerry
I’ll be more enthusiastic about encouraging thinking outside the box when there’s evidence of any thinking going on inside it

agibsonsw
SilverLounger

Post by agibsonsw »

Thank you.
It seems they are not related to tags that appear as metadata in web pages to assist search engines. It seems it's a catch all term.
Andy.