What software ?

Steve_in_Kent
4StarLounger

What software ?

Post by Steve_in_Kent »

Can anyone recommend a platform/software/way to meet my requirements.

Have the back end of the database located on Network Storage (i can get a fixed IP).

Have software on the PC that can analyse the data. or a web interface./remote access

Change items on the database via smartphone. (would need to design the fields). using at least 6/7 phones.

Al of the solutions available seem to be extremely high cost.

Oh,, and data needed is about 12 columns. with 75,000-90,000 rows.....
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Owing at LEAST 34 beers to other helpful forum members. Especially HansV!

HansV
Administrator

Re: What software ?

Post by HansV »

I don't know what you consider to be expensive. A quick search turned up Knack - I don't know this product myself.
Best wishes,
Hans

Steve_in_Kent
4StarLounger

Post by Steve_in_Kent »

Yes, i'd seen that a long time ago Hans.. $79 a month is a bit beyond what i would pay.. its mainly for a hobby thing that i'm doing.

I don't mind paying outright for some software, but the idea of using my home NAS is that it avoids the monthly fee.

and, if i wanted 80k records, that knack is like $179 a month !!!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Ah - I didn't know it was for personal purposes. For a work-related database, the price is not excessive.
Best wishes,
Hans

Steve_in_Kent
4StarLounger

Post by Steve_in_Kent »

No.. for work its probably cheap... We have database's in my company that cost £200,000 and up. (rip off in my book imho :)

this is for a volunteer thing that i help out with. so its kind of minimal cost.

on android there's a database app, that uses google sheets.. not sure how 'flat' it is.. so looking into that.

There's also one called DroidDB.. however, i'm not sure where the back end sits with that.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Probably off beam here but how about running MySQL on the NAS give you a db backend and then create a webpage frontend using php? All you need then to run the front end is a browser. All of these apps are free.

Ken