Screen Resolution Issue

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Screen Resolution Issue

Post by Carol W. »

I am using a free template to develop a website. Here is the template:

http://templates.arcsin.se/freshmade-so ... -template/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

My problem: As the screen resolution gets higher and higher, the translucent gray bars on the side get wider and wider. I would like to be able to keep the gray bars at a fixed width, independent of resolution, and so I wrote to the template's author. Following is his reply:
You can only keep the distance to the sides of the browser window constant by setting a non-constant width on the template.

For example, set the design to have margin: 0 20px; (and no set width) will make the sides always has a constant width of 20 pixels.
I am somewhat conversant with html and css but I'm no expert, by a long shot. I wrote back and asked him on what tag to put the margin. His reply was not helpful.

Can someone please give me some guidance on how to keep the gray bars at a fixed width, independent of screen resolution?

TIA.
Carol W.

HansV
Administrator

Re: Screen Resolution Issue

Post by HansV »

This template was designed with a fixed width content column in mind, similar to many blogs. The width of this column is set as 960px (in center-wrapper), but changing that to a percentage is not enough.
You're probably better off finding a template with a variable width content column.
Best wishes,
Hans

Carol W.
3StarLounger

Post by Carol W. »

Thanks, Hans.

I had already tried changing the 960px to 90% but, as you said, that wasn't enough.

Any suggestions for locations for free templates? This is for a non-profit group.
Carol W.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

You can find any number of free templates using Google or Bing. Finding a variable width one might not be that easy though - fixed width appears to be the fashion at the moment.
Best wishes,
Hans