Shadow Protect Recommendation

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Shadow Protect Recommendation

Post by Bigaldoc »

On the assumption that many Loungers will not be interested in my "adventure" with installing a new hard drive in this rather lengthy thread ( Shadow Protect Restore From CD ) I have a recommendation for SP users.

Whenever you restore a hard drive, in order to prevent booting only to find out the drive will not boot, I suggest you click on Tools and then Boot Configuration Utility (BCU) in the menu. The resulting window will show you if your restored drive is "Bootable" or, as in my case, "Broken." If you select that line and click the "Auto Repair" button you may find the "broken" changes to "bootable." If not, again my case, the text below might give you a clue, such as to repair the boot.ini file. There is a default check mark in "Hide Advanced" that, when removed, will display some more menu items on the right, which did repair my boot.ini (I'm still using XP) and made the new drive "bootable."

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Re: Shadow Protect Recommendation

Post by BobArch2 »

Bigaldoc wrote:... I have a recommendation for SP users...
Great work Al ! Have saved your comments in my archives should the need ever arise.

To-date, knock-on-wood, I have never had to go through the trials and tribulations that you encountered. There again, I have a single O/S environment :flee: :flee: :flee:
Regards,
Bob

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Just for the "posterity" of it, I dug this out of the documentation that's on the CD, which I had never looked at! So, once again, Big Al learned about RTFM, stupid!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Bigaldoc wrote:Just for the "posterity" of it, I dug this out of the documentation that's on the CD, which I had never looked at! So, once again, Big Al learned about RTFM, stupid!
And I, just found something I was missing. I have the SP basic documentation on my hard drive for reference, but never copied the SP Recovery Documentation to the hard drive. When you posted the BCD image, I went to the basic documentation, did not find it, then dug out the CD where I did locate the other gem. Which now resides on the hard drive.

Thanks for the "prompt". :grin:
Regards,
Bob

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

You're certainly welcome. It's funny because in all the time I've used Shadow Protect, I never thought to look on that CD for documentation and, like you, relied on the basic SP manual. That Recovery Environment doc is very good and as soon as my backup finishes, I'm gonna put a copy on my drive in a folder I reserve for PDF User documents!