Windows Web Security

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Windows Web Security

Post by Gloria E »

Yesterday I received a message that Windows Web Security had found critical process activity on my system and will perform a fast scan of my System Files, the title of the message was Windows Security Alert.

The scan had automatically started and I didn't know wether to stop it or not. Before I could decide it stopped and listed loads of names and file names of what was found. By this time I scared to death and didn't know what to do next. Another message appeared that said "Your computer is infected, we recommend you click Start Protection to erase all threats. Foolishly, I think, I clicked the button and nothing happened.

Have I been tricked in to doing something dangerous and foolish? If so, what can I do about it. I also ran a search for some of the so called virus names and none were found.

I need serious help with this as soon as possible.

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Timelord
4StarLounger

Re: Windows Web Security

Post by Timelord »

I found this:

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 6759a70034" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Who will you Inspire today?

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

That is definitely one of those fake security alerts that try to scare you into buying a fake anti-virus program. Hopefully, your real anti-virus program has already stopped it, but to be on the safe side, run a full scan with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (if I remember correctly, you have that - see Scare of my life).
Best wishes,
Hans

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Yep, That's another phony scare ware thing.
As Hans said, run your other AV and malware programs to make sure you are OK but my guess is you'll be fine.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

When you get one of these scareware things, it is best stopped using the Task Manager (Ctrl+Alt+Del) to stop the process. Some of these nasties have had the Red X reprogrammed to start the process.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Whick RED x?
I hope you do NOT mean this one?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

DaveA wrote:Whick RED x?
I hope you do NOT mean this one?
That is indeed the one. The only safe ways to close some of these malware Windows are to power off the computer, or to use task manager to kill the process.
StuartR

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

BUT, there is NO RED X, it is WHITE on a RED button. :hairout: :laugh: :scratch:

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Details, details...
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

Gloria E
5StarLounger

Post by Gloria E »

HansV wrote:That is definitely one of those fake security alerts that try to scare you into buying a fake anti-virus program. Hopefully, your real anti-virus program has already stopped it, but to be on the safe side, run a full scan with MalwareBytes Anti-Malware (if I remember correctly, you have that - see Scare of my life).
Thanks Guys for all those comments by Ted, Bob and Timelord (for his link).

I figured that's what it was. This is the second time I've been scared. I did use Task Manager and closed it that way. I read about the sneaky programs that use the red x to continue with the scare tatic. I ran Webroot, MalwareBytes (entire scan) and Super AntiSpyware , none of them found anything except cookies. My computer has not been affected in anyway and is humming along like it always does.

I wonder why they suddenly realize that I'm alive, I've been ignored by those kind of program for years. All of a sudden they're showing up, I know what to do for them the next time.

Thanks again gentlemen,

Gloria E
Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive & well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, red wine in the other, body thoroughly used up. Totally worn out & screaming "Wow, Wee What a ride!

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

Paraphrasing what they said in the old movie: "You Go, Gloria!"

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

PaulB wrote:Details, details...
No worst than our Site spell and grammar checkers? :evilgrin: :laugh: :rofl:

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

DaveA wrote:
PaulB wrote:Details, details...
No worst than our Site spell and grammar checkers? :evilgrin: :laugh: :rofl:
I wish!
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.