cancel address

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

cancel address

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi...the young son of a friend of mine seems to have had his email address book highjacked as emails (purportedly from him) are being distributed to all his friends with only a link shown in the message section of the email. [See att] I suggested he create a new address using something like "mitch????????@livemail.com" and inform all his friends to put a block on any that come from his previous address. This he seems to to have done BUT the phoney emails keep being sent. To cancel his previous address does he simply have to contact his server or what? :scratch: Thanks Dave.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Re: cancel address

Post by Bigaldoc »

The two elements you mention are good - a new address and "blocking" the old by his friends and contacts.

Now I'm not an expert in this field by any means but I don't think you can STOP the spoofing at the sending end. They can put whatever they want as the sent address and I don't think mail servers check the SEND, they only check the destination.

Leif
Administrator

Post by Leif »

Dave Davison wrote:To cancel his previous address does he simply have to contact his server or what? :scratch:
You may be able to cancel the 'previous' address, it depends who the ISP/host/email server is. You would need to contact them directly to find out.

As in all likelihood the 'From:' address is forged, it won't make a bit of difference to the emails continuing to be sent.
Leif

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Many thanks for the comments. I think they are with SKY; I will point my young friend to this link so he can (1) read the thread and (2) maybe subscribe to the lounge so he can tap into the wealth of knowledge to be gleened here. Regards Dave.