Free AV software - but for business use?

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Free AV software - but for business use?

Post by John Gray »

I'm trying to find if there is any free AV software available for business (well, charity, actually) use, rather than home use.

AVG Free states that the software is for private, non-commercial, single home computer use only.

Avast! seems to indicate the possibility of it being usable by businesses, having a radio button "In business environment" in the middle of their licence form.

Avira Antivir Personal is for personal use only, and is not for business or commercial use.

Does anyone have any other suggestions (no, not Clam-Win, please!), otherwise I'll investigate Avast further...

Thanks!
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Free AV software - but for business use?

Post by JoeP »

Have you already ruled out Virus, Spyware & Malware Protection | Microsoft Security Essentials?

Well, scratch that as the license says for home use or a home-based small business. Sorry. :groan:

Joe
Joe

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

I would suspect that if it is for a charity that Avast would be accommodating. As you say, their licence seems to indicate that this use should be acceptable. Here in the US, a business that is a charity is not considered a "business" in the true sense of the word for taxation and other regulatory issues.

But you should ask. :whisper:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.

IanWilson
3StarLounger

Post by IanWilson »

Doc Watson wrote:I would suspect that if it is for a charity that Avast would be accommodating. As you say, their licence seems to indicate that this use should be acceptable. Here in the US, a business that is a charity is not considered a "business" in the true sense of the word for taxation and other regulatory issues.

The Avast! homepage just says "Home use only" against the free version without elaborating on that. (For version 4.8 it used to say that it was free of charge for non-commercial home use only.) So it is not completely clear what the licence terms actually are.

Ian

Doc Watson
4StarLounger

Post by Doc Watson »

IanWilson wrote:
Doc Watson wrote:I would suspect that if it is for a charity that Avast would be accommodating. As you say, their licence seems to indicate that this use should be acceptable. Here in the US, a business that is a charity is not considered a "business" in the true sense of the word for taxation and other regulatory issues.

The Avast! homepage just says "Home use only" against the free version without elaborating on that. (For version 4.8 it used to say that it was free of charge for non-commercial home use only.) So it is not completely clear what the licence terms actually are.

Ian
But, doesn't charity begin at home ??? :laugh:
If life gives you melons,
You may be dyslexic.