Acronis Rescue Media

jmt356
SilverLounger

Acronis Rescue Media

Post by jmt356 »

I understand that if my computer is not bootable, I can insert the Acronis Rescue Media into the optical drive and from there, follow a set of instructions to restore an image of my hard drive.

Is it true that when my computer is not bootable, I can also install the recovery disk to make the computer look like it did out of the factory, and from there, install Acronis, and from there, restore an image? Is it thus true that the advantage of the Acronis Rescue Media is that it offers a shortcut over recovering the system, and then installing Acronis, and then restoring an image, by shortening this process (boot up from the Acronis Rescue Media and install Acronis and then restore an image)? Either way (whether I use the computer's recovery disk or the Acronis Rescue Media) the end result is the same, no?

Also, is it true that Acronis Rescue Media is not tailored to any specific computer, but can be used to boot up any computer? My understanding is that it is good not only for the machine on which it was made, but on others as well.
Regards,

JMT

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Re: Acronis Rescue Media

Post by Roderunner »

Hi JMT, I suggest you pretend your installing Acronis, then click the link to download the user manual then read it.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

I read chapter 11 (pgs. 74-6) of the Acornis True Image Home 11.0 User’s Guide before posting this question. While it explains the purpose of the Bootable Rescue Media and how to create it, it does not answer the questions posted above.
Regards,

JMT

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

jmt356 wrote:I read chapter 11 (pgs. 74-6) of the Acornis True Image Home 11.0 User’s Guide before posting this question. While it explains the purpose of the Bootable Rescue Media and how to create it, it does not answer the questions posted above.
Hi jmt356, welcome back. I'm not going to answer your questions, instead, I'm going to tell you how I use Acronis (any version)
Before installing, right click the 'install' box and extract the .msi file, save anywhere. Without it you can't repair or uninstall.
Once installed, create a recovery disc, cd/dvd, make 2 copies using .iso save the .iso also.
I always leave backup & recovery options at default.
Now for your first backup, connect the external device your going to use, then start Acronis. If your using one of the newer versions, the backup will start automattically.
Once complete, insert your recovery disc, it will start all by itself regardlessly how your BIOS are set. Click to load Acronis Full Version. Once loaded remove the disc. Now right click on the backup just created and select 'verify', if successful you wont need to use it till your pc bites the dust.
Here's where things get slightly complicated. I NEVER put anything on C: that I am going to keep, I store them on other hdd's, usually 4. That stops me from needing to create a full backup image.
To make and store my images, I make a folder called Acronis Backups, then inside it, I make a folder named as e.g. Feb 07, take a copy of whats installed by using Snipping Tool from Programs and Features page, save as same date and add it to the Feb 07 folder, that way I know what was on my PC when that image was made.
As my C: Drive is only 45gb, everytime something gets an update, I do a backup, and always keep a minimum of 3 copies. My backups are only made using 'One Click Backup' which is a system backup. Backup time under 10 minutes, recovery, half that time. I dont use the recovery disc to make backups.
Hope this helps, if not, just ask.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

I agree with most of your explanation but I may be confused as to the one line that you said:
--------------------------------
I NEVER put anything on C: that I am going to keep, I store them on other hdd's, usually 4. That stops me from needing to create a full backup image.
---------------------------------
If your system drive C is blown to the point where you can't boot and you only have a "backup" copy, then your backup may not help you at all. Maybe you are getting the terms backup and Image confused. The full image of your system drive will contain and restore all of the necessary data to make things usable again. A backup may only contain certain data regarding your OS but not all things as an image will.
So, a regular full image of your C is necessary, rather than a backup copy.
Storing other files in different locations is a GOOD idea, not only keeping a lot of info from harms way but also reducing the size and time for creating the full image.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

If you have an Image that you created, whether it is of the factory install, or an Image created the day before your problem began, if your PC will not boot (and you know it's not a hardware issue) either install the Acronis installation disk (if you bought the disk) or the Rescue Media you created (if as I did you downloaded Acronis for installation) into the optical drive and restart your PC. Choose the boot to DVD option (your boot order must be set to show CD/DVD drive first) Acronis will boot your PC to the Acronis screen. Choose the Acronis option then follow the prompt to restore your PC. You will have to shown Acronis where to put the restored Image (usually the C Drive) and show it where the Image is located (I use an ext USB HD, which must be plugged in) and the name of the Image you wish to restore, then press Proceed or Start or whatever the wording is (I don't recall at this moment) and wait for about 10 minutes. Voila, the HD will now contain the Image you selected. Take the disk out and reboot.
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

viking33 wrote:I agree with most of your explanation but I may be confused as to the one line that you said:
I NEVER put anything on C: that I am going to keep, I store them on other hdd's, usually 4. That stops me from needing to create a full backup image.
If your system drive C is blown to the point where you can't boot and you only have a "backup" copy, then your backup may not help you at all. Maybe you are getting the terms backup and Image confused. The full image of your system drive will contain and restore all of the necessary data to make things usable again. A backup may only contain certain data regarding your OS but not all things as an image will.
Storing other files in different locations is a GOOD idea, not only keeping a lot of info from harms way but also reducing the size and time for creating the full image.
Hi viking33, sorry for my badly worded explanation re C: Drive. Anything that I put on it is copied from one of my hdd's, as stated above, I only use 'one click' backup's, that gives my a 'system state' backup. If for any reason, my C: + its partition D: died, or just got infected, I can restore it in 5 minutes. Please note for future reference an image is made by doing a backup.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

tedshemyers wrote:Choose the boot to DVD option (your boot order must be set to show CD/DVD drive first)
Hi Ted, Acronis uses the Linux system or similar for recovery media and starts automatically.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.

tedshemyers
2StarLounger

Post by tedshemyers »

Roderunner wrote:
tedshemyers wrote:Choose the boot to DVD option (your boot order must be set to show CD/DVD drive first)
Hi Ted, Acronis uses the Linux system or similar for recovery media and starts automatically.
Yes RR, you are correct, It's been a couple of weeks since my last restore and I forgot (getting old you know)
Have a Great Day!
Ted

Sony Vaio Laptop, 2.53 MHz Duo Core Intel CPU, 4 GB RAM, 320 GB HD, Win 7 Ultimate 64 Bit

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Roderunner wrote:
viking33 wrote:I agree with most of your explanation but I may be confused as to the one line that you said:
Hi viking33, sorry for my badly worded explanation re C: Drive. Anything that I put on it is copied from one of my hdd's, as stated above, I only use 'one click' backup's, that gives my a 'system state' backup. If for any reason, my C: + its partition D: died, or just got infected, I can restore it in 5 minutes. Please note for future reference an image is made by doing a backup.
I understand what you are saying, since you use "one click backup."
One click backup IS a system image. A file "backup" is not an image but a selective copy of some files only. Either can be done with TI.
BTW, I'm not trying to be "nit picky" :chatter: here at all, so let's drop it at that?
No criticism intended. :cheers: :noevil:
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

Roderunner
5StarLounger

Post by Roderunner »

Hi Viking33, none taken. I know my brain and my right index finger are not fully syncronised at the best of times.
Windows 11 Home 22H2

Regards,
George.