What is the best AVG for value

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

What is the best AVG for value

Post by Dave Davison »

My daughter is considering registering with her bank to manage her account on-line, which is the best AVG for it's prize available please? My local computer shop owner used to sell Bullguard but apprently it was bought out by Norton which would not be his first choice. :scratch: :thankyou: Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Re: What is the best AVG for value

Post by HansV »

Does she use Windows? Windows Security comes with Windows, so it's free. It is effective and unobtrusive. In my opinion, there is no need for third-party anti-virus solutions.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

I asked that very question of the computer shop owner but was of the opinion that it was very basic and would suggest a stand alone prog like AVG or Virtual Shield. Howerver I will ask my daughter to bring her laptop to me so I can see if she has Windows 10 or 11 installed. Thanks Hans, your expertise is so so appreciated. Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

I've been using the built-in Windows Defender / Windows Security since 2009 and I have never been infected by malware in that time.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

That's as good a track record as anyone can wish for, come to think about it neither have I Hans and have relied on the windows defender for security, though I requently run CCleaner to purge the cookies and junk that seem to attend the majority of web sites these days. Thanks again Hans

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Wot Hans said. I and both of my sons have only ever relied on the built in Windows antivirus and none of us have ever had any sort of virus /malware problem in all that time, which includes the years my sons went through university.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Ken. For the further assurance of trusting Windows built in A/V, just think of the $millions people spend each year on the likes of Norton. Regards Save.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Do remember though that even the sort of industrial strength AV that the IT people at the company I worked for cannot prevent a user from clicking on a link in phishing scam:
    https://www.ncsc.gov.uk/collection/phishing-scams
and thus shooting themselves in the foot.

Consequently, all employees where I worked, from the CEO at the top to the newest recruit , including all of the IT people actually running the IT systems, had to complete several IT security training courses annually, i.e every year. These courses were different every year so you couldn't just rehash last year's answers. If you failed the course you had to retake it, and the questions changed. If you forgot to do the course before the annual deadline you were locked out of the IT systems until you sat the course (and your line manager was notified!)

To put it another way, a chain is only as strong as it's weakest link and in IT security a human being is invariably the weakest link.

Ken

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Wise words, sound counsel, ultra care is the the name of the game in this IT world. I'm thrilled to say I have never been hacked and have only relied on Windows security and Avira free version for scanning the likes of CCleaner, Screen Presso & Revo unistaller before installing. Thanks Ken

JoeP
SilverLounger

Post by JoeP »

I too would recommend using the built-in Windows Security. I also install the free version of Malwarebytes and run a full scan with it every month or so just to get a second opinion. Malwarebytes runs a full scan very quickly on newer systems.
Joe

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks for that extra nugget of defence against the trolls who have nothing better to do than cause problems for innocent souls. Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

I'll second Joe's suggestion of running the free version of Malwarebytes every now and then.

I'll also repeat myself to stress that all these defences are worthless if a user does not think about what they are doing and blindly clicks on a link or an attachment in a phishing email.

Ken