LOST PASSWORD

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

LOST PASSWORD

Post by Dave Davison »

Hi Guys.
My brother has just has his Apple iPad cracked screen replaced and -don't know why - but the shop owner returned it to factory settings and seeing the password is forgotten, it can't used. Is there any software that can detect the said password or it's money down the drain. Not being an expert I can't understand how he could return it to FS without knowing the password. :scratch: :scratch:

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Re: LOST PASSWORD

Post by stuck »

I don't own any Apple devices but does not folklore say that if you don't know your Apple password you're stuffed because there's no way to hack an Apple device?

Having said that, if this device has been returned to factory settings does that not mean it's like a 'new' device so your brother can just start from scratch and set a new password?

Or why not take it back to the repair shop and ask them for the password, which presumably they set?

Ken

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

stuck wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 18:27
Or why not take it back to the repair shop and ask them for the password, which presumably they set?
:clapping: :clapping:
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

As I said, how was the repair shop guy able to access the memory to reset it to the factory settings in the first place? Can't for the life of me understand why as it was only put in for a glass replacement. He could not have had the password because my bro can't remember it. Totally baffled.
Thanks anyway Dave.

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

The repair shop probably used a USB cable to connect the iPad to a Mac or Windows computer. It is then possible to reset the iPad from the computer.
This completely erases the data and user profile.
If they made a backup before doing so, they may have restored it after this.
Otherwise, the iPad is as new, so your brother would have to set it up from scratch.
Best wishes,
Hans

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks Hans for that bit of encouraging news as he thought it was useless and seeing he knows absolutely nothing about this hi tech stuff he will -like myself- not have clue how to procede. Even more baffled that the shop owner actually told him that without the password nothing can be done!!!!!!!!
Must put out some feelers for someone who is more experienced than us as it's a shame to just discard it. Thanks for the enlightenment which offers a little glimmer of hope. Dave.

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave Davison wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 21:27
...the password because my bro can't remember it...
As I said, I know nothing about Apple products but a simple search on:
    access iphone lost password
returns this page as the top hit:
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204306
If that doesn't help then I suggest you take the phone to an official Apple store and ask then to help.

Ken

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Dave, in all likelihood the repair shop did a forced backup of the machine before doing the repair. He might even have some tools that allow him to make the backup without a password. This would have been done as insurance against being accused of losing the owner's data. Replacing a screen is no small task and exposed the 'innards' of the machine, I think. What puzzles me is that he was able to reset it to default settings without a password.

If my hypothesis that he made a backup before proceeding with repair is correct, he should be able to restore that backup, one would think.

In any case, the repairman is responsible for having reset the machine and is therefore responsible for restoring it. He might even have a legal responsibility to either restore it or make your brother whole.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

Dave Davison
SilverLounger

Post by Dave Davison »

Thanks one and all, perhaps there is some hope but if not it's a case of learning by mistakes though the repair cost / loss was only £50. Thanks Dave

stuck
Panoramic Lounger

Post by stuck »

Dave Davison wrote:
23 Dec 2022, 23:28
...the repair cost / loss was only £50...
So why not also spend a small amount more, i.e. the cost of a bus fare / the petrol to your nearest Apple Store, and ask them if they can help you reset the password, as shown in the link I gave above:
    https://support.apple.com/en-gb/HT204306

Surely it's worth trying?

Ken