Perils of "a model citizen for digital hygiene"

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Perils of "a model citizen for digital hygiene"

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Fake myGov profiles are being used to hack ATO accounts
I don't know enough about Real Security to get into any depth on this, and the article is about Australia so agencies and terminology may differ.
However I was struck by the declaration that "The Melbourne woman is what cyber security and information experts would characterise as the model citizen for digital hygiene."

I think of myself as hygienic, but I suspect that my financial affairs are nowhere near as secure as hers. Nor are my assets like hers.

The delays in response from what are supposed to be responsible agencies/bodies seems to be normal for Western Nations.

Vanessa Teague's comments seem relevant, with a parallel in Open Source computer applications.
Cheers, Chris
An expensive day out: Wallet and Grimace

LineLaline
2StarLounger

Re: Perils of "a model citizen for digital hygiene"

Post by LineLaline »

What a nightmare!
Ceci n'est pas une signature.

Jay Freedman
Microsoft MVP

Post by Jay Freedman »

Ouch. I suspect many more governments are just as unwilling to talk about their security failings in public.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Jay Freedman wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 00:43
Ouch. I suspect many more governments are just as unwilling to talk about their security failings in public.
Well, yes. :scratch:
We should expect no less (more?) from Public Servants. :yikes:
Cheers, Chris

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Post by PaulB »

Wasn't there an old saying: Security through obscurity is no security at all.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

PaulB wrote:
19 Dec 2022, 17:06
Wasn't there an old saying: Security through obscurity is no security at all.
I don't know :scratch:
I feel that to some extent public institutions, banks especially, are at fault. For all their drastic implementations of double-authentication, and "your best interests are at the centre of our heart" and other dribble, they specialize in two areas that seem designed to circumvent security.
(1) They delight in sending emails about banking services ("Get Special Interest Rates When You Sign Up Today For ...") with an inviting link
(2) The toll-free help line is always on lunch break somewhere in the world when you need advice or confirmation.
Both these paths lead even the tight-pursed investor to decide to go ahead and see what happens. "After all, I haven't actually signed anything yet", so we click on the link, or just fill in the online form details and hope that we will thereby be thought of as savvy.

The Canada Revenue Agency, bless its cotton socks, sends me an email telling me that they have sent me an email on their site, forcing me to use one of my own browser bookmarks "https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency ... duals.html" and log in at the CRA site rather than click on a link in their email. I mist then navigate the CRA site to the point where the CRA can inform me that for the thirteenth year in a row there is no income tax for me to pay, and let me get back to my real business of patrolling the various implementations of phpBB.

Cheers, Chris