Registering Malwarebytes On A New Computer

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Registering Malwarebytes On A New Computer

Post by hlewton »

I have tried and am still in the process of trying to get the support staff of Malwarebytes to help me with this problem. They, under good circumstances, are very slow to reply so am hoping someone here can offer me a solution.

I run Malwarebytes Premium on my machines and I have an available license for a new computer I just recently got. This computer was "cloned" from an image of one of my computers that I still have operational in my network. So, after it was successfully cloned, I had the computer renamed to a name other than the one it picked up from the computer it was cloned from. I also edited the Registry and renamed every instance in it from the OLD computer name to the NEW computer's name.

On this NEW computer Malwarebytes Premium is running and real time protection is active. However, Malwarebytes does not recognize it as a NEW computer with a different name. When I check my Malwarebytes account, I see only 5 of my 6 licenses being in use BUT, again, the 6th computer, the NEW computer is protected by Malwarebytes Premium too. It does not show up in my account.

I have asked Malwarebytes for help in solving this. Either they are not understanding what I am trying to explain to them or they have no answer. In either case, they have not replied to me when I told them the solution they offered did not work. When opening a non-activated copy of Malwarebytes there is supposed to be an "Activate license" button to push to register the product to the computer. That was their solution to registering my computer. That button is not there and, in my opinion, it is not there because Malwarebytes Premium is already running on that computer.

I have tried reinstalling Malwarebytes but it must be picking up its activation from somewhere in the Registry because it still comes up running and fully activated. I am not too concerned about the protection because, I believe my computer is protected. I just want to keep everything legal and I can't seem to do that.

Any suggestions on how I can correct this and activate the license under my NEW computer's name?

Thanks
Regards,
hlewton

JoeP
SilverLounger

Re: Registering Malwarebytes On A New Computer

Post by JoeP »

Can you revert to the free version of Malwarebytes - settings | account? Then, activate the premium version again.
Joe

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

JoeP wrote:
24 Oct 2022, 14:39
Can you revert to the free version of Malwarebytes - settings | account? Then, activate the premium version again.
Not sure how I would do that. When I downloaded it and reinstalled it, it picked up the license for the old machine. Malwarebytes just sent me, finally, a support to run. This is supposed to send the information directly to them. I'll have to see how that works out. Thanks.
Regards,
hlewton

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

This is amazing. I have explained my problem no less than 3 times and in great detail. Yesterday Malwarebytes supplied me with a support tool to run which looked at the functioning of Malwarebytes and uploaded all the information to their engineering department. In running the support tool, I had to enter the ticket number that was given to me when creating this ticket. Again, and I can't emphasize this point enough, the ticket number was entered before the support tool was run.

I was contacted about 3 hours later hours later by the engineer assigned to review this uploaded information. He informed me that Malwarebytes was up and running fine and my case would be closed if they didn't hear back from me with any other information. Actually here are his exact words, "Your support ticket 4026876 has been updated and marked as solved. Please reply to this email to update the ticket with any questions or additional information." And, "Looking at these reports it is showing that Malwarebytes is activated and running just fine." Luckily, I am hoping, by replying immediately to his email he will understand that the ticket is not solved.

As politely as possible, I tried to explain to him that I knew Malwarebytes was operating fine on my machine. But apparently he had not read the ticked I created. OR he and the other support person I had to deal with before being supplied with the support tool to run, were not understanding me at all. I reiterated that I was trying to stay legal by using my Malwarebytes licenses on this machine. Explaining also that this new machine was running Malwarebytes under the license of the machine it was cloned from.

I have not yet heard back from him so the saga continues.
Regards,
hlewton

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

If this were me then I would stop worrying about it. You have paid for the license, so you are in the right morally, and legally if they try to audit you. Just relax and find something more troublesome to fret about.
StuartR

hlewton
PlatinumLounger

Post by hlewton »

StuartR wrote:
25 Oct 2022, 13:26
If this were me then I would stop worrying about it. You have paid for the license, so you are in the right morally, and legally if they try to audit you. Just relax and find something more troublesome to fret about.
LOL, believe me I DO have plenty of other stuff to fret about. I don't even have to look for it, it finds me. Don't even get me started about Spectrum TV, Phone, and Internet problems. :evilgrin: :thankyou:
Regards,
hlewton