Acronis True Image Jobs

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Acronis True Image Jobs

Post by Bigaldoc »

Way back when I switched to Shadow Protect, I gave my (then) copy of True Image to my son. I was a "good boy" and gave him all I had and did not keep a copy, so I can't answer my current question.

After a big problem with his HP printer a few days ago, he and I worked for hours and hours trying to fix the problem, unsuccessfully, so I won't bore with the gory details.

However, it was FINALLY the proof to my son that an image backup can save your bacon! Last night he restored a True Image backup and got the system back in working order, including the miscreant print problem. The only drawback is that the image was a little old, so he lost some data (emails, documents and such). We're not worried about software since that can be brought up to snuff.

So, here's my question that I can't remember. It has to do with True Image's backup file NAMING procedure. I've finally convinced my son that he should setup a TI job for a full image weekly, with six (overnight) incrementals. But, he only has one external USB drive. When the time comes for the next full backup sequence to start, will TI give the new weekly set a different name so that more than one set will be retained?

StuartR
Administrator

Re: Acronis True Image Jobs

Post by StuartR »

TrueImage gives each backup a sequential number.
I distinguish the weekly full backup from the daily incrementals by the file size.
I keep the folder with all my backups sorted by file creation date, to ensure I can see the sequence.
StuartR

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Hi Al,

It's been a few years since I used TI but seem to remember that a time stamp could be added to the backed up data-set's name. That feature might be version related and you didn't say what version you gave your son.
Regards,
Bob

Bigaldoc
PlatinumLounger

Post by Bigaldoc »

BobArch2 wrote:It's been a few years since I used TI but seem to remember that a time stamp could be added to the backed up data-set's name. That feature might be version related and you didn't say what version you gave your son.
I can't remember, Bob, and he and I haven't had the chance to get together to go through the job setup yet. For now, he's just doing a full image once a week. Hoping I can sit down with him about it soon. Thanks...

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

Bigaldoc wrote:
BobArch2 wrote:It's been a few years since I used TI but seem to remember that a time stamp could be added to the backed up data-set's name. That feature might be version related and you didn't say what version you gave your son.
I can't remember, Bob, and he and I haven't had the chance to get together to go through the job setup yet. For now, he's just doing a full image once a week. Hoping I can sit down with him about it soon. Thanks...
Al,
Don't know if this is exactly what you needed but this is from TI version 2010. I think earlier versions were similar.
Capture.PNG
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.