How do I [not] make cookies? CCleaner 5.667716(64 bit)

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

How do I [not] make cookies? CCleaner 5.667716(64 bit)

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Cookies.png
I am running CCleaner 5.667716(64 bit) and a week ago deleted all my cookies and am now, day-by-day, establishing a list of cookies-to-keep.

I am surprised to find that ChrisGreaves.Com has placed cookies on my laptop.
ChrisGreaves.com is my own web site, and I compile the pages myself.
Each page is essentially a MSWord2003 document which I do NOT "save as html" but instead hand-craft the html code in my own VBA procedures; which means that I am reasonably sure that I do not have any cookie-adding code in there.
Frankly I wouldn't know how to write the VBA procedures to install cookies.

I have nothing to fear from this Chris Greaves guy (grin), but am now deeply curious about how these cookies made their way on to CCleaner's radar.

I might add that this (Tuesday) morning I finished re-compiling a host of pages, so my web site is supposed to be pristine in terms of web content.

Thanks
Chris
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: How do I [not] make cookies? CCleaner 5.667716(64 bit)

Post by HansV »

NoScript tells me that your website uses Google Analytics. That probably places a cookie to track usage of your website.

PS Perhaps a more interesting question is why it says "Toronto, Tuesday, May 26, 2020 9:43 AM"...
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:
26 May 2020, 19:11
NoScript tells me that your website uses Google Analytics. That probably places a cookie to track usage of your website.
Thanks Hans. That would make sense. I don't question your analysis, but that there is at least one rational explanation satisfies me for now.
Actually, while I typed that sentence my brain stumbled on ahead and told me that perhaps most websites don't themselves store cookies as much as use some third-party code to store cookies. Contracting out, so to speak.
PS Perhaps a more interesting question is why it says "Toronto, Tuesday, May 26, 2020 9:43 AM"...
Good question. Give me a few days and I'll think of an answer. FWIW I was not scheduled to move here until this month; I arrived in Bonavista some fifteen months ahead of my first guestimate.

(several days pass ...) The date is the Word2003 {savedate}.
As for the Toronto, I still have much editing to be done. This morning marked the first time in about four years that I have been able to clean-compile the entire site.

Thanks again
Chris

Argus
GoldLounger

Post by Argus »

(How do I [not] make cookies: should be easy, stay away from the Cooking forum?)

I assume you are using Firefox; if you press F12 and pick Storage Inspector (Storage tab) or Shift-F9 (or Tools menu, Developer; or ... right-click on the page, and select Inspect Element, and Storage tab), you should be able to see cookies if any.
And if you select tools > settings > privacy etc. > Cookies, and check data, I find this (0 cookies) (allowing only scripts, if any, from the page; but adding google's scripts didn't change anything, as far as I saw):
Empty cookie.PNG
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Byelingual    When you speak two languages but start losing vocabulary in both of them.

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Argus wrote:
26 May 2020, 20:22
(How do I [not] make cookies: should be easy, stay away from the Cooking forum?)
:dough:
I assume you are using Firefox; if you press F12 and pick Storage Inspector (Storage tab) ...
Cookies01.png
Like this? I think this shows that Eileen's Lounge has stored three cookies, and that the three references are not related to the unexpanded "Indexed DB" entry on the left.
And if you select tools > settings > privacy etc. > Cookies, and check data, I find this (0 cookies) (allowing only scripts, if any, from the page; but adding google's scripts didn't change anything, as far as I saw)
Cookies02.png
And this snapshot shows three cookies each for www.eileenslounge.com and for the alias eileenslounge.com.. And I further think that I see "eileens" here because I was on a lounge web page when I followed your instructions. (Yes! I see five cookies for ChrisGreaves.com, both inspection methods).

I am getting out of my depth, and it will take a while for me to understand all this.
In the meantime I am using the web normally except that each morning I run CCleaner to delete all cookies (except my small table of exceptions), and then edit the CCleaner exceptions when a trusted web site that has "lost" my account number or similar. That is a steady learning process for me and for CCleaner.

Thanks again, Argus
Chris