Is this malicious?

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Is this malicious?

Post by Don Wells »

I am running Windows7 with a local Wifi network connected to my ISP via cable.

I occasionally am presented with the following pop-up, and am concerned that it might be malicious. Can anyone offer insight?
ScreenHunter_486 Nov. 20 14.52.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Regards
Don

HansV
Administrator

Re: Is this malicious?

Post by HansV »

One possible cause is that multiple devices/services are trying to check for new messages, e.g. your PC and your smart phone, or Microsoft Outlook and a webmail service.
If so, make sure that only one device/service accesses your mail at a time.

Another possible cause is your e-mail profile has become corrupt. You could try creating a new one in the Mail control panel.

Also see Enter Network Password dialog keeps popping up.
Best wishes,
Hans

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Post by Don Wells »

Thank you Hans

My iPad is the prime suspect at the moment. I will make a habit of disconnecting it from the network when I am not using it.
Regards
Don

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

What happens if you ignore the panel by clicking on the X at upper right?
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

StuartR
Administrator

Post by StuartR »

I see this occasionally, it just means that an attempt to fetch my email has failed. I just dismiss the box and everything seems fine.
StuartR

John Gray
PlatinumLounger

Post by John Gray »

Same as Stuart, except it can happen more than once. But only every month or two, usually.
Continuously if the mail server(s) at my ISP host are having problems.
John Gray

Venison is quiet deer, and quite dear.

Don Wells
5StarLounger

Post by Don Wells »

BobH wrote:What happens if you ignore the panel by clicking on the X at upper right?
The pop-up just goes away.
Regards
Don

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

Don Wells wrote:
BobH wrote:What happens if you ignore the panel by clicking on the X at upper right?
The pop-up just goes away.
That sounds quite strange to me. I don't recall ever having to login to email and provide a password except on start up. My ISP is TWC Roadrunner.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Intel Core i5, 3570K, 3.40 GHz, 16 GB RAM, ECS Z77 H2-A3 Mobo, Windows 10 >HPE 64-bit, MS Office 2016

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

BobH,
Do you have your email program to recheck for new mail while open?

Most programs by default recheck about every 10 minutes. If there is a server issue during this recheck, then you may be asked for the password.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

DaveA wrote:BobH,
Do you have your email program to recheck for new mail while open?

Most programs by default recheck about every 10 minutes. If there is a server issue during this recheck, then you may be asked for the password.
Yes. My email client, Thunderbird, connects when loaded and remains open in a window and checks about every 10 minutes to see if the server has additional mail. Those checks do not require logging in and providing a password. It might me a function of my server vs. Don's.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

DaveA
GoldLounger

Post by DaveA »

Did you read my thread, IF your email server has an issues during the time you have your email open and it tries to recheck for new mail, then you should get the login pane.
BUT, you may have been very lucky and have never had an issue with your email server.
I am so far behind, I think I am First :evilgrin:
Genealogy....confusing the dead and annoying the living

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

DaveA wrote:Did you read my thread, IF your email server has an issues during the time you have your email open and it tries to recheck for new mail, then you should get the login pane.
BUT, you may have been very lucky and have never had an issue with your email server.
Yes, I was just trying to point out that I've not experienced what Don is experiencing frequently enough that he has been annoyed by it. I think the Roadrunner servers have been, all in all, quite reliable.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)

BobArch2
BronzeLounger

Post by BobArch2 »

Don Wells wrote:I occasionally am presented with the following pop-up, and am concerned that it might be malicious. Can anyone offer insight?
Hi Don,

I am with Bell Canada and am using Outlook 2013. About every couple of months I get the same message for at least one of my half dozen accounts. Never an issue. Has always been a Bell mail server issue. Clicking on OK, Cancel or "X" and retrying a mail run will resolve the connection.
Regards,
Bob