VB RAP test results

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

VB RAP test results

Post by ChrisGreaves »

Here
I can spot Grisoft's AVG just below the word "Oct".
Sadly, the description of the tests, link at foot of article, is available only to registered users.

I read the chart as "Items to the upper right perform well, those to the lower left perform poorly"
There's nothing heavier than an empty water bottle

HansV
Administrator

Re: VB RAP test results

Post by HansV »

ChrisGreaves wrote:I read the chart as "Items to the upper right perform well, those to the lower left perform poorly"
That's generally true, but it's useful to understand the distinction between the two axes. The anti-virus programs were "frozen" at a certain point in time (i.e. not updated after that).
The vertical axis shows how well the products react to malware released in the weeks before that point, i.e. "known" but recent malware.
The horizontal axis shows how the products coped with malware that hadn't been released yet at that point, i.e. do they detect suspicious behavior from malware they don't "know" about.
Not surprisingly, all products are above the diagonal, i.e. they are better at detecting "known" malware than "unknown" malware.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:Not surprisingly, all products are above the diagonal, i.e. they are better at detecting "known" malware than "unknown" malware.
I agree.
But then, the further to the right a product appears, that is, the further along the horizontal axis, the better it is at detecting previously-unkown malware.
So If I've read it correctly, I'm better off with (strains eyes in top 10%) CheckPoint than with GData.
Grisoft's AVG is not bad, but is eclipsed by five other packages in its little cluster, and is eclipsed by eight other packages in the cluster off to the right (including Trustport)

HansV
Administrator

Post by HansV »

Theoretically, yes. But I think most products in that upper right corner will be perfectly adequate for 'normal' users. If your hobby is visiting 'risky' websites, it might be a bit different.
Best wishes,
Hans

ChrisGreaves
PlutoniumLounger

Post by ChrisGreaves »

HansV wrote:If your hobby is visiting 'risky' websites, it might be a bit different.
(signs off from Eileen's lounge ... :invisible: )
I checked a few sites.
What would be of most interest to freeloaders like me, of course, would be for free packages to be presented in italicized font, trial versions in regular font, and commercial versions in bold font.