Missed Opportunity?-Write File to Multiple Locations

BobH
UraniumLounger

Missed Opportunity?-Write File to Multiple Locations

Post by BobH »

Where are the brilliant programmers when you need them?

Has anyone here explored, or found a way to, save files to multiple locations?

For example, I use KeePass as a storage vault for passwords and other information. When I save it, I would like for that single command to write the file to 2 different HDDs and to a thumb drive. Of course, I could save it 3 times and change the destination each time, but that is a bit of bother.

I would like to see the OS gurus at Microsoft come up with a solution. In UNIX there are file permissions that tell how files have been defined. Although (to my knowledge) UNIX does not have a permission value that allows files to be defined as 'write multiply,' I believe this would be a useful option. By defining it at the OS level would allow the user to decide what files would be written and the places they would be written. This would avoid the need for each program to have the option and all the code needed to support the feature. Putting an applet in the OS and keeping up with it Registry entries or file permissions seems doable to me.

All you software types out there (Chris G. et al) please tell me why this couldn't be done.

Does anyone else agree that it would be useful?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs

PaulB
BronzeLounger

Re: Missed Opportunity?-Write File to Multiple Locations

Post by PaulB »

I can't disagree with what you wish to do, Bob, but I really think that should be a function of the application, not the OS.
Regards,
Paul

The pessimist complains about the wind. The optimist expects it to change. The realist adjusts his sails.

viking33
PlatinumLounger

Post by viking33 »

BobH wrote:Where are the brilliant programmers when you need them?

Has anyone here explored, or found a way to, save files to multiple locations?

For example, I use KeePass as a storage vault for passwords and other information. When I save it, I would like for that single command to write the file to 2 different HDDs and to a thumb drive. Of course, I could save it 3 times and change the destination each time, but that is a bit of bother.

I would like to see the OS gurus at Microsoft come up with a solution. In UNIX there are file permissions that tell how files have been defined. Although (to my knowledge) UNIX does not have a permission value that allows files to be defined as 'write multiply,' I believe this would be a useful option. By defining it at the OS level would allow the user to decide what files would be written and the places they would be written. This would avoid the need for each program to have the option and all the code needed to support the feature. Putting an applet in the OS and keeping up with it Registry entries or file permissions seems doable to me.

All you software types out there (Chris G. et al) please tell me why this couldn't be done.

Does anyone else agree that it would be useful?

:cheers: :chocciebar: :thankyou:
Bob, I don't use KeePass, so I can't give you an answer to your question.
I don't see that it would be much of bother to run the save program "x" number of times, to save it in multiple locations.
How long does it take to save this information?
Perhaps someone like John Gray could write you a little batch file to do this?
As Paul said, it seems to be an application function, not the OS.
BOB
:massachusetts: :usa:

If I agreed with you we'd both be wrong.

PJ_in_FL
5StarLounger

Post by PJ_in_FL »

There are real-time backup programs out there already. Some examples from Freeware Guide:

AutoVer
AutoVer is a configurable automatic or real time backup and version control system. It can be used as a simple real time backup or as a more complex, but transparent version control system (like a realtime incremental backup). The beauty of this system is that once you set it up (which is extremely simple) it does everything. No remembering to backup or to check in or check out files. Every time you save a file it is copied to your backup folder or drive. You can include and exclude certain files and browse the backups with the Backup Explorer.
Great for backing up (or one way syncronising) your work or home documents to flash memory or saving every change you make to your source code or image files.

Karen's Replicator
Automatically backup files, directories, even entire drives! Karen's Replicator copies selected files from one drive/folder to another. Source and Destination folders can reside anywhere on your network. Options include repeated copies at intervals as short as a few minutes, or as long as several months, copy only files that have changed, and the replication of file deletions.

As an added bonus, the VB6 source is available for Karen's program. I understand many people liked and respected her for her work and generousity. Maybe you can give that program a try and see for yourself!

------------------------------
PJ in FL
PJ in (usually sunny) FL

BobH
UraniumLounger

Post by BobH »

I use many applications that produce files that I cause to be written in multiple locations. I do this routinely with Word, Excel, KeePass and others. I save the files multiple times after changing the file path. Because I do it with multiple software products, I think it would be better placed in the OS. On installation, a file attribute - not unlike a UNIX file permission - could be set to specify the number of multiples from 0 to n and file paths provided for each number. Thereafter, the OS would check the attribute and the path name store and execute a write command appropriately. No muss; no fuss.

Originally, I, too, thought this should be an application function; but then I considered the amount of redundant code and the potential for a hodge-podge of implementation. Placing the function in the OS would avoid the problem of code maintenance and put the function at the basic I/O level instead of the higher level of applications.

It's been a very long time since I functioned as a software engineer (and I was only mediocre at it), but I'm convinced even yet that some - maybe most - functions should be managed at the lowest possible level of commonality.
Bob's yer Uncle
(1/2)(1+√5)
Dell Intel Core i5 Laptop, 3570K,1.60 GHz, 8 GB RAM, Windows 11 64-bit, LibreOffice,and other bits and bobs