Check Disk stuck at 27%

jmt356
SilverLounger

Check Disk stuck at 27%

Post by jmt356 »

Check Disk stuck at 27%

With respect to the issue that I have had with my computer hanging at startup / restart (see http://eileenslounge.com/viewtopic.php? ... ng#p136090" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;), I tried to restore an image of my hard drive created before this problem began. However, while running the restore, Acronis indicated:

"Failed to write data to the disk. Failed to write to sector '1,615,872' of hard disk '1'. Failed to access the archive plain disk (0x1000E9). Internal error: attempt to write to DiskInputStream (0x70001).”

Based on Acronis’ support’s recommendation, I ran a scan disk. First I ran Scan Disk from within Windows by navigating to the C: drive, right clicking, going to the Tools tab, and selecting Check now. Windows came back with the conclusion “Windows has scanned the file system and found no problems. No further action is required.”

Then I ran Scan Disk from within Windows for the D: drive using the same method and I received the same message: Windows found no problems.

Acronis told me that these results were not valid and I had to do a full Check Disk outside of Windows by going to the Command Prompt in the Start Menu, right-clicking it, selecting Run as Administrator, and then entering chkdsk /r at the Command Prompt and restarting. I tried this and the error log reported “ 0 bad file records processed” and “0 KB in bad sectors.”

Acronis Support then told me that I needed to run Check Disk again, with the command chkdsk c: /v /f, which did nothing for me, and then with the command chkdsk c: /r /f, which kept on getting stuck at 12%. I tried forcing shutdown and booting to Windows, but my computer would either hang, go to the Windows Repair page or otherwise run Check Disk and again get stuck at 12%.

I then tried to restore an image of my laptop that was taken before the hanging issue began. The restoration occurred without errors (no messages regarding failure to write data to the disk). I then again tried to run Check Disk using the command chkdsk c: /r /f. It was running find for about the first 20 minutes but is now again stuck, and has been at 27% for the last hour and a half.

Why is Check Disk getting stuck? Is the problem the code that Acronis is giving me (chkdsk c: /r /f)? Is my hard drive bad, even though chkdsk /r displays no errors in the Windows log? Is there a software issue, even though it is currently getting stuck on an image take back in July, before I ever started experiencing issues?
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Re: Check Disk stuck at 27%

Post by Rudi »

Hi JMT,

It seems like 27% is not so "uncommon" where CHKDSK seems to get "stuck"
See this quote taken from this thread:
windows 8 chkdsk, by default, doesn't show any details of what it is doing, only the total percentage. 27% is another spot it gets 'stuck' at even though it is still working just fine.
If you want to make sure it isn't stuck, restart it but run it as chkdsk /r /v and you will see each file as it is checked and know whether or not it is stuck or just running slower.
Thank God. This just happened to me now... I wish I ran chkdsk /r /v instead. I've stuck at 27% and I have no idea what's going on with it. I'll just leave it alone now.
I would leave it alone dude, if the light is on then CHKDSK is working on the disk and it is common to see CHKDSK just absolutely fart on 10% for the duration of the check.
It'll suddenly update it and shoot up to like 98% when it gets close to the end.
In another part of the same thread it says that it took up to 24-72hrs for it to finish???
Anyways, the general idea is to leave it to do its job, but if you are very convinced that it IS stuck, you could reboot...according to the thread, but don't just take MY word for it...get other opinions too...please!!
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.

jmt356
SilverLounger

Post by jmt356 »

Indeed that is very odd. There are 4 hits for getting stuck at 27% and when I search for getting stuck at 28%, only hits for 27% come up (see http://www.bing.com/search?q=check+disk ... 1ff35f2083" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;). There is also a post on getting stuck at 11%, which is what was happening to me yesterday before I restored my Acronis image.

In any event, I looked back and found that I was back at my log in page. It seems Scan Disk finished. However, there is no log of it in Event Viewer, which is extremely odd.
Regards,

JMT

Rudi
gamma jay

Post by Rudi »

Hope your PC behaves from this point on :smile:
Regards,
Rudi

If your absence does not affect them, your presence didn't matter.